[comp.unix.xenix] VPIX hangups

mikej@lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) (04/10/90)

In article <807@zeusa.UUCP> hendrik@zeusa.UUCP (Hendrik Vermooten) writes:
>From time to time my VP/IX (update 1.1.1) freezes the console screen and
>keyboard. The terminals keep running happily, though.
>
>Surely there is some way of livening things up again from another terminal,
>like sending some signal to some process?

Try:
	ps -t ttywhatever

[get the pid of the 'vpix' process]

    kill -1 vpixpid

kill -1 pid usually does the trick for killing a vpix process. However, I'm
not sure that that will unfreeze the console. Others have suggested (SCO
included) that you unplug the keyboard for a second and then plug it back.
Sounds a bit fishy to me. Perhaps this problem has been lessened in the
newest release of VP/ix, version 1.2. It has lots of other nifty features
as well which may make it worth the price of admission.
--
Michael R. Johnston                   mikej@lilink.com
Lilink Communications                 rutgers!lilink!mikej

tbetz@upaya.lilink.COM (Tom Betz) (04/11/90)

Quoth mikej@lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) in <1990Apr10.010231.10650@lilink.com>:
|In article <807@zeusa.UUCP> hendrik@zeusa.UUCP (Hendrik Vermooten) writes:
|>From time to time my VP/IX (update 1.1.1) freezes the console screen and
|>keyboard. The terminals keep running happily, though.
|>
|>Surely there is some way of livening things up again from another terminal,
|>like sending some signal to some process?
|
|Try:
|	ps -t ttywhatever
|
|[get the pid of the 'vpix' process]
|
|    kill -1 vpixpid

This will kill the process, but the console screen remains frozen
nine times out of ten.  I have given up on finding a solution,
and simply wait until whatever is going on on the other pttys get
over with (usually it happens to me when there is a file transfer
going on using 'rz' from a PCOMM script on one of the console
pttys) and shutdown the system.

--
"I don't run - I tend to black my eyes." - D.Parton | hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz
----------------------------------------------------|  tbetz@upaya.lilink.com

jamie@autoz.UUCP (Jamie Windham) (04/13/90)

We just received a DISCOVER newsletter from SCO which contains a patch
that I think will correct your problem.

They say to do the following with the system in
system maintenance mode:

	adb -w /xenix.new
at the * prompt:
	vpioctl+371?w 88ee
adb will respond with:
	_vpioctl+0x371: 0x88ef=0x88ee
next, type:
	vpioctl+37e?w 88ef
adb will respond with:
	_vpioctl+0x37e: 0x88ee=0x88ef
finally type
	$q
to quit adb

I assume they mean you should copy /xenix to /xenix.new and
then boot /xenix.new to test this patch.

They also claim that VP/ix 1.2 will cure this problem. Our sales
rep indicated a $75.00 charge to upgrade 1.1 to 1.2.

Jamie Windham - Auto Zone - (901)775-7602
1700 Dunn Avenue, Memphis, TN 38106
UUCP: {fedeva,chromc}!dynasys!autoz!jamie