[comp.unix.xenix] Disk Partitions in XENIX and DOS

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (05/02/90)

In article <183@nat-3.UUCP>, root@nat-3.UUCP (nat-3 System Administrator) writes:
> 	I am using a system that has an 8 Mb MS-DOS 4.0 partition and
> a 33 Mb XENIX-386 2.3.2 partition on an ST-251-1 disk drive.  DOS's
> FDISK shows partition 1 being a DOS partition and partition 2 being
> a XENIX partition.  Fine.  But XENIX's fdisk and Ontrack's Disk
> Manager report that the XENIX partition is on partition 4.  What is
> going on?

maybe they are numbering the partitions differently.

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site      Notre Dame, Indiana USA
PEP 219-289-3745     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar

stephen@hantsq.dec.com (Stephen Wong) (05/02/90)

In article <183@nat-3.UUCP>, root@nat-3.UUCP (nat-3 System Administrator) writes...
>	I am using a system that has an 8 Mb MS-DOS 4.0 partition and
>a 33 Mb XENIX-386 2.3.2 partition on an ST-251-1 disk drive.  DOS's
>FDISK shows partition 1 being a DOS partition and partition 2 being
>a XENIX partition.  Fine.  But XENIX's fdisk and Ontrack's Disk
>Manager report that the XENIX partition is on partition 4.  What is
>going on?

Your situation is normal.  It is just a matter of how to count partitions in
the partition tables.  Xenix and DOS (perhaps Disk Manager counts agree with
DOS) use different method (one counting upward and other counting downward) to
count.  You may treat this just as one of the controversy of DOS and Xenix.

Regards,
Stephen.

stephen@hantsq.dec.com