[comp.unix.xenix] Backing Up My Xenix Distribution Disks

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (05/03/90)

In article <511648@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>In article <2479@crash.cts.com>, jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
>> I just got Xenix386 and would like to know the easiest way to backup my
>> distribution diskettes.  I dont want to go through makeing a file system
>> and then do recursive directory copies, if that what it entails.

>Use diskcopy supplied with your copy of DOS to copy the distribution
>disks.

Diskcopy used to work on the old uPort release, but not on the later ones.  I
haven't tried that under xenix because it is so easy the copy media routines
in the system.

Just fire up the sysadm shell, go to media, go to duplicate.

It reads the disk into a file, you don't have to do it, and it lets you make
as many as you want before reloading the next source.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/03/90)

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <511648@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>In article <2479@crash.cts.com>, jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
>>> [What is] the easiest way to backup my distribution diskettes[?]
>>Use diskcopy supplied with your copy of DOS
>
>Be careful.  Newer versions of DISKCOPY insist that the disk look like a
>DOS disk.  I suggested diskcp(C) to Jim in email.
>
>BTW...I know this because this question came up about a year back, and I
>was the guy who said "use DISKCOPY" then.

MS and PC-DOS 3.30 doesn't care that it's a DOS file system or not.  I use
DOS 3.30 diskcopy to copy anything that isn't copy protected.  Diskcomp can be
used to verify the process as well.  SCO distribution and Minix distribution
disks are very happy with being duplicated under DOS 3.30 diskcopy.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (05/03/90)

In article <2479@crash.cts.com>, jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
> I just got Xenix386 and would like to know the easiest way to backup my
> distribution diskettes.  I dont want to go through makeing a file system
> and then do recursive directory copies, if that what it entails.

After reading 4 or 5 answers that were amazingly complicated or assumed
you had something called DOS :-) I decided to make a suggestion - how
about dd?  It is what I always use.
Just dd from the floppy to a file on the hard disk and a second dd to make
the copy works ok or floppy to floppy to floppy if you have two drives.
To be more efficient I suggest you specify a blocking factor that is a
multiple of the track size.  For example, for a 15 sector/track disk,
something like:
    dd if=/dev/rfd096ds15 of=/tmp/caca bs=30b
would work fine.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (05/03/90)

In article <2479@crash.cts.com>, jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
> I just got Xenix386 and would like to know the easiest way to backup my
> distribution diskettes.  I dont want to go through makeing a file system
> and then do recursive directory copies, if that what it entails.

This brings up a point.  Why bother backing them up?

This is one of the major differences between PCDOS software and the Unix/Xenix
world.  You are licensed the software in such a way so that if a diskette
went bad, or you had a fire, or the dog ate them.   you call SCO, and for
a small media charge they send you a new set of disks.

In any case, if you do want to copy them look at dd(C)...

--
Mark J. DeFilippis
Manager Unix systems complex, Academic Computing Center

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (05/03/90)

In article <3946@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
> Your distribution disks are all tar format.

N1 isn't.  I hope you have a useable backup of yours!
--
Eunet: Ronald.Khoo@robobar.Co.Uk   Phone: +44 1 991 1142    Fax: +44 1 998 8343
Paper: Robobar Ltd. 22 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Middx., UB6 7JD ENGLAND.

In article <1204@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> Be careful.  Newer versions of DISKCOPY insist that the disk look like a
> DOS disk.  I suggested diskcp(C) to Jim in email.

As I did earlier (isn't net.latency annoying?  :-( ) The other thing I
always suggest is to format the media with dosformat(C) instead of
format(C) since older versions of format don't have the -v option, which
makes them just a little worthless to call directly.

Did someone say Preformatted Media ? You mean you TRUST them for BACKUPS
of you ONLY set of distribution media ? Ha!

--

jklein@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Jeffrey Klein) (05/03/90)

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

>In article <511648@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>In article <2479@crash.cts.com>, jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
>>> [What is] the easiest way to backup my distribution diskettes[?]
>>Use diskcopy supplied with your copy of DOS

>Be careful.  Newer versions of DISKCOPY insist that the disk look like a
>DOS disk.  I suggested diskcp(C) to Jim in email.

>BTW...I know this because this question came up about a year back, and I
>was the guy who said "use DISKCOPY" then.

It's been a while sisnce I've used Xenix, but I recall seeing (and using)
SCO Xenix's doscp command for making distribution disk backups.  This
was documented in the manuals (can't remember where.  If you need the
location e-mail me and I'll look it up).

--
Jeffrey Klein             e-mail: jklein@dgis.dtic.dla.mil
Control Data Corp                 jklein@dev.dtic.dla.mil

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (05/04/90)

In article <2710@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>This is one of the major differences between PCDOS software and the Unix/Xenix
>world.  You are licensed the software in such a way so that if a diskette
>went bad, or you had a fire, or the dog ate them.   you call SCO, and for
>a small media charge they send you a new set of disks.

Not any more.  We misplaced our development disks a short while ago and I
called SCO to see about getting a replacement set.  I was told that as of a
few weeks ago they will no longer replace your media for $50 or whatever it
used to cost.  The best they offered me was to sell me a new package at half
price.

I am becoming more and more dis-illusioned with a company I used to recommend
enthusiastically.  (If this new policy has been revoked I'd sure like to hear
about it.)
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Surrey, British Columbia      BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)576-1214, login as Guest

mcs@fps.com (Mike Sanfratello) (05/04/90)

In article <678@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:

>After reading 4 or 5 answers that were amazingly complicated or assumed
>you had something called DOS :-) I decided to make a suggestion - how
>about dd?  It is what I always use.
That is exactly what diskcopy does (at least older versions).  It was just a
shellscript that used dd.

paul@tetrauk.UUCP (Paul Ashton) (05/04/90)

In article <678@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>After reading 4 or 5 answers that were amazingly complicated or assumed
>you had something called DOS :-) I decided to make a suggestion - how
>about dd?  It is what I always use.
>something like:
>    dd if=/dev/rfd096ds15 of=/tmp/caca bs=30b

Well I agree that using DOS is completely beyond the bounds of reason :-)
but I wouldn't use dd either. The disadvantage is that dd copies the whole
disk even if you only have one tiny tar file on it. Tar recognises the end
of the archive and stops there.

The method I use of backing up a distribution is to completely install
everything including net, multiport drivers etc., and then backup the whole
thing using cpio to tape (always assuming you have one, of course). If you then
create a boot floppy (with cpio on it!) you can reinstall after a complete
crash in a tiny fraction of the time it takes on floppy. SCO Unix with dev sys
can be reinstalled from scratch in under an hour. (What! SCO Unix crash?! you
say)

--
Paul

satyr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (I like blonds) (05/05/90)

	Uh, folks, the way they do it at SCO is to use 'diskcp -s'.

philc
|UUCP:   ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!satyr | ARPA:   satyr@ucscb.ucsc.edu |
|BITNET: satyr@ucscb@ucscc.BITNET     | ............................ |