[comp.unix.xenix] Multiport Serial Boards...

rfrye@netxcom.UUCP (Rob Frye) (03/16/89)

I had previously requested that anyone who is running a good async
multiport board at reasonably high rates please let us all know
about it.  Several responses were posted -- thanks!!  I am happy
to say that I'm now using an ATvantage-X Computone 8-port board
on an ALR 386.  We've got 5 ports at 38.4kbps which *mostly* work.
If you've got big function-key sequences you're blasting at it
from a terminal it will not work properly above 19.2kbps.  However,
I tried the same setup on a Wyse-3216 and couldn't get it to
function right *ever*!
--
Rob Frye
NetExpress Communications, Inc.		Phone: (703)749-2234

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/03/90)

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>In article <2436@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>I would like some in depth information on multiport serial boards.  The system
>>that will use this board will be either a Kaypro 286i under SCO Xenix 286 or
>>a 386SX running SCO Xenix 386 or ESIX.  The three boards that I'm aware of are
>>Computone, Digiboard and Maxspeed.
>>If there's another manufacturer of this piece of hardware, I'd like to be made
>>aware of it.
>
>Arnet Corporation, Nashville TN (615) 834-8000 or (800) 366-8844.
>
>I know some people who use their boards, but I don't have any first-hand
>information.  The info I have says they have a "full line of 4, 8, and 16
>port multiuser boards for AT and Micro Channel Machines".  There seem to
>be two product lines: the Multiport and the Smartport boards.
>
>There's also a reprinted review by InfoWorld which says "The Arnet Smartport,
>the most expensive board we tested, was also the most capable in the group."
>It also said "Good documentation, a lifetime warranty(!), and toll-free
>technical support make this board very attractive" (emphasis added).  Review
>printed in April 4, 1988 issue.
>
>Well, I have no connection with this company -- I don't even use the stuff --
>so maybe I should stop pushing.  I just hope the information helps.
>--
>Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
>voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035
>Non-Disclaimer: my boss is me, and he stands behind everything I say.

Maybe I should add an extra constraint that I neglected, the board has to
support hardware flow control.  You need that if you're going to hang a US
Robotics HST or Dual Standard HST and have things run smoothly.

Only two that I know of that support hardware flow control are the Computone
and Digiboard.  One soul in e-mail told me the Maxspeed does not support
hardware flow control, ok, out goes that one.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) (05/03/90)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

>Maybe I should add an extra constraint that I neglected, the board has to
>support hardware flow control.  You need that if you're going to hang a US
>Robotics HST or Dual Standard HST and have things run smoothly.
>Only two that I know of that support hardware flow control are the Computone
>and Digiboard.  One soul in e-mail told me the Maxspeed does not support
>hardware flow control, ok, out goes that one.

The Intellicon-[48] boards from Connect Tech *do* support hardware
flow control.  I've used the 8's the HST modems without problems.

--richard

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/03/90)

:>Only two that I know of that support hardware flow control are the Computone
:>and Digiboard.  One soul in e-mail told me the Maxspeed does not support
:>hardware flow control, ok, out goes that one.
:>
Both Arnet and Specialix support hardware flow control just fine.
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (05/03/90)

In article <2494@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>In article <2436@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>>I would like some in depth information on multiport serial boards.  The system
>>>that will use this board will be either a Kaypro 286i under SCO Xenix 286 or
>>>a 386SX running SCO Xenix 386 or ESIX.  The three boards that I'm aware of are

>Maybe I should add an extra constraint that I neglected, the board has to
>support hardware flow control.  You need that if you're going to hang a US
>Robotics HST or Dual Standard HST and have things run smoothly.

You might want to look into the Anvil Onboard (succsessor to the Stallion).
With flow control on 38k terminals are running flawlessly.  Using only
x-on/x-off at those speeds, some brands of terminals worked, others wouldn't.

Don't know you price contraints but if you find a hungry dealer you should be
able to get the Anvils for under $1000 for 12 ports.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) (05/03/90)

> Maybe I should add an extra constraint that I neglected, the board has to
> support hardware flow control.  You need that if you're going to hang a US
> Robotics HST or Dual Standard HST and have things run smoothly.
>
> Only two that I know of that support hardware flow control are the Computone
> and Digiboard.  One soul in e-mail told me the Maxspeed does not support
> hardware flow control, ok, out goes that one.

Comtrol has had hardware flow control for years, on the Hostess and
Ultra series of controllers.

More info, e-mail here.

Thanks,
Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Control Systems, Inc.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
...uunet!csinc!rpeglar		612-631-7800

The posting above does not necessarily represent the policies of my employer.

larry@syscon.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (05/04/90)

In article <10567@yunexus.UUCP>, rreiner@yunexus.UUCP (Richard Reiner) writes:

> The Intellicon-[48] boards from Connect Tech *do* support hardware
> flow control.  I've used the 8's the HST modems without problems.

They support hardware flow control under which operating systems?

Personally, I try to stay away from doing business with Canadians
due to the hassle and delays involved when sending anything through
customs..

--
Larry Snyder
larry@nstar

pete@indep1.UUCP (Peter Franks) (05/05/90)

In article <2494@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>Maybe I should add an extra constraint that I neglected, the board has to
>support hardware flow control.  You need that if you're going to hang a US
>Robotics HST or Dual Standard HST and have things run smoothly.
>
>Only two that I know of that support hardware flow control are the Computone
>and Digiboard.  One soul in e-mail told me the Maxspeed does not support
>hardware flow control, ok, out goes that one.

We've had an Arnet Smartport 8 port board here in indep1 for almost 2 years.
It definitely has hardware flow control - it's running a Trailblazer Plus
at 19200 on one of its ports without any problems.  When doing uucp transfers
at 19200, I can see the data lights start and stop every now and then when
the hardware flow control turns things off.

We just got the new driver from Arnet - all we had to do was give them a
phone call.  No hassle, no problems, and NO CHARGE!!

|  Peter Franks  |          pete@indep1.mcs.com  OR  pete@indep1.uucp          |
|      NI9D      |                   Use whichever one works                   |