[comp.unix.xenix] WD SCSI Controller

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Tim Bowser) (05/06/90)

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

>The problem is how do you install Xenix on your hard disk using these
>controllers since you need the drivers before you can access the hard
disk?

>I tried using the WD controller on my new system with no success so
rather
>than waste a bunch of time trying to find out what the fix was, I
returned
>the controller and went out to my local adaptec store and got the 1542
>which works perfectly.

   There lies a small problem.  With Xenix 2.2.4, the Tandy release with
SCSI support, the new Adaptec 154xB controller doesn't work out of the
crate.  Have had a few discussions with Adaptec, SCO, Tandy and the local
Nix wizards, and the result is a forced upgrade to 2.3.2.

   Hope that either SCO or Adaptec will release a driver for the beastie
before long.  I've heard it is even better at it's job than the A model...

--
 Tim Bowser  ("Strikemaster")  |  Standard  |  mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!strike
Enterprise Information System  | Disclaimer |  strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US