[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Reveals solution to the WP 5.0 / VP/ix problem!

tbetz@upaya.lilink.COM (Tom Betz) (04/11/90)

Well, there >is< a solution to the refusal of WP 5.0 to run on a networked
drive!  At long last, SCO's DiSCOver magazine (March/April) sez:

1) Format a B: Psuedo-drive. (Unfortunately, it's only 360K)
2) Install Word Perfect onto a WP50 directory on your Network (H:,U:) drive
3) Move the WP.FIL file from that directory to the B: drive
4) Invoke Word Perfect with 'wp/d=b'

They left out a couple steps:

5) Copy WPSMALL.DRS to B:WP.DRS (This allows Page Preview to work)
6) Configure Word Perfect (with Shift-F1) so it can find all those files
   on your Network drive.

I even have both my authorized VP/ix users using the same set of Word Perfect
files now!  Freed up a whole lot of space.

The only drawback is that Word Perfect's temporary files are limited to the
41984 bytes or so left free on the B: drive once you have installed all this.

Still, an occasional DISK FULL error within Word Perfect is a lot less
objectionable than the 'no space on dev 1/42' that shuts down the whole
system when the C: psuedo-drive outgrows available filesystem space.

Now, if I could only format the B: drive to 1.2 meg...

--
"I don't run - I tend to black my eyes." - D.Parton | hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz
----------------------------------------------------|  tbetz@upaya.lilink.com

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/12/90)

->Well, there >is< a solution to the refusal of WP 5.0 to run on a networked
->drive!  At long last, SCO's DiSCOver magazine (March/April) sez:
->
->1) Format a B: Psuedo-drive. (Unfortunately, it's only 360K)
->2) Install Word Perfect onto a WP50 directory on your Network (H:,U:) drive
->3) Move the WP.FIL file from that directory to the B: drive
->4) Invoke Word Perfect with 'wp/d=b'

Beware, this is may be only half an answer.   I suspect this will work on
simple files but will puke up on your printer on complex documents unless those
documents are on a real DOS partition.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
       uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

rich@aggie.UUCP (Rich Seligson) (05/03/90)

In article <2445@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
>>We have been running WordPerfect 5.0 under SCO Xenix for several
>>months now and very successfully (we were a BETA test site).
>
>I talked to our WordPerfect representative last Friday, and I don't blame
>people for trying to get it to run under VP/ix since the Xenix version of 5.0
>wasn't available until recently.  If people want the features of 5.0 under
>Xenix and they have VP/ix, what do you think they're going to do?
...[stuff deleted]...
>                ...  People are going to run the latest version of WordPerfect
>under VP/ix or DOSMerge until the version for their *nix platform is
>available. ...

I wholeheartedly agree.  For example, WP 5.1 is now available for DOS.
This version has some significant (to me) improvements over 5.0.  Any
word on when this might be out for Unix?

I don't use VP/ix because I enjoy working with DOS, it just happens to
be the environment that has the software I need.

Rich

P.S.  I haven't seen WordPerfect under Unix.  Does it look as good as
      the DOS version?  How is the page preview?  I assume that can't
      be done on a text-only terminal, but on a "workstation" with
      graphics...  email any opinions and info (thanks!)

rich@cyanamid.com    or   ...rutgers!aggie!rich

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/07/90)

In article <407@aggie.UUCP> rich@aggie.cyanamid.com (Rich Seligson) writes:
>In article <2445@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
>>>We have been running WordPerfect 5.0 under SCO Xenix for several
>>>months now and very successfully (we were a BETA test site).
>>                ...  People are going to run the latest version of WordPerfect
>>under VP/ix or DOSMerge until the version for their *nix platform is
>>available. ...
>P.S.  I haven't seen WordPerfect under Unix.  Does it look as good as
>      the DOS version?  How is the page preview?  I assume that can't
>      be done on a text-only terminal, but on a "workstation" with
>      graphics...  email any opinions and info (thanks!)
>rich@cyanamid.com    or   ...rutgers!aggie!rich

Rich:

WordPerfect 5.0 does look basically just like the Messy-DOS version.
It does have a page preview.
And it does work on most text terminals.
And on terminals like the Wyse 60, it does not do a bad job at all,
it is limited by the graphics character ability of the terminal
it is working on, not WP 5.0.

On a console or workstation, you are basically the same as on
a DOS system.

The only areas that deviate much are the printer sections to
handle the Xenix/Unix printer methods.  And they have really
cleaned this area up from their previous version of 4.2.

It is definitely worth a look at, as it is native code, and
not running thru VP/ix.
I have not heard anything yet on WP 5.1.  (although I did hear that
WPCorp was going to wait 18 months to come out with 5.2 due to all
the complaints they got about having two releases so close together).

** We are not related to WPCorp other than reselling their product
   and also participating in their BETA test program.   **