[comp.unix.xenix] Bootable/rootable

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (05/06/90)

In article <1990May3.084422.23530@robobar.co.uk>, ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
> In article <3946@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
> > Your distribution disks are all tar format.
>
> N1 isn't.  I hope you have a useable backup of yours!

I strongly recommend you make a bootable/rootable floppy (see Man) or
a "Crow Bar" diskette with your tape driver on it.

Then, if need be you can boot from the floppy, mount your HD and
away you go!
--
uucp: holston!barton

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/07/90)

In article <5712@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>In article <1990May3.084422.23530@robobar.co.uk>, ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>> In article <3946@thebes.Thalatta.COM> campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
>I strongly recommend you make a bootable/rootable floppy (see Man) or
>a "Crow Bar" diskette with your tape driver on it.
>Then, if need be you can boot from the floppy, mount your HD and
>away you go!
>uucp: holston!barton

This is an EXCELLENT idea.
We ran into problems with this (not just creating the diskette, but
having all the necessary files you may need for a particular problem.)

After researching this one quite a bit, we found a utility program
that is included with MicroLite's CTAR backup program, that does
this for you.  It creates a rootable/bootable floppy, then moves
YOUR kernel over with all of your /dev files and all the necessary
files you will need to do a rebuild of the disk in the event of
a disaster.  It comes in quite handy.

Thought I would pass this along to save someone else the hours of
research that we did.
SideNote:  CTAR also backs up ALL files on the filesystem, so with
the CTAR diskette and the CTAR backup tape you can recreate the system
"on the fly", and be running without a lot of hassles.