[comp.unix.xenix] Foxbase - printing to a file

jmp%sfs@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (John Pearce) (05/08/90)

Following is a query posted in CompuServe's FOXFORUM.  I am
reposting it here for John Pearce <jmp%sfs@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US>.

#: 11610 S3/FoxBASE+
    06-May-90  19:37:49
Sb: Report output to file ??
Fm: John Pearce 75130,2716
To: all

I have been unsuccessful in persuading SCO Foxbase + (Xenix) to send
report output to a file, rather than to the printer or screen. (Foxbase's
own report writer will do so, but I am working with reports written
outside Foxbase)

In each case, as soon as the program tries to write to the disk, I receive
the reply "unknown error message 508."  That message number is not one
covered in the manual.

The help screen says the proper way to do this is "set printer to
<filename>,"  followed by "set printer on," which is exactly what I am
trying to do.

John M. Pearce  (813) 955-2202

gws@xenitec.on.ca (Geoff Scully) (05/10/90)

In article <396@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US> jmp%sfs@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (John Pearce) writes:
>Following is a query posted in CompuServe's FOXFORUM.  I am
>reposting it here for John Pearce <jmp%sfs@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US>.
>
>#: 11610 S3/FoxBASE+
>    06-May-90  19:37:49
>Sb: Report output to file ??
>Fm: John Pearce 75130,2716
>To: all
>
>I have been unsuccessful in persuading SCO Foxbase + (Xenix) to send
>report output to a file, rather than to the printer or screen. (Foxbase's
>own report writer will do so, but I am working with reports written
>outside Foxbase)
>
>In each case, as soon as the program tries to write to the disk, I receive
>the reply "unknown error message 508."  That message number is not one
>covered in the manual.
>
>The help screen says the proper way to do this is "set printer to
><filename>,"  followed by "set printer on," which is exactly what I am
>trying to do.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
>John M. Pearce  (813) 955-2202

I got bit by this too, but it wasn't too hard to figure out that it
wanted an executable program. After all the default is lp. So I use

set printer to "cat >&filename"

Where filename is a character variable containing the name of the file to
create. Using this syntax it is also possible to append to existing
files.

			--g

---
Geoff Scully                    Support Services -- XeniTec Consulting Services
Internet: gws@xenitec.on.ca		   UUCP: ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!gws