[comp.unix.xenix] Resetting a dialin/dialout modem

perry@bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) (05/10/90)

Our system is running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, with a Hayes modem off COM1:
or {tty1a,tty1A}.   We use it as a dialin/out modem, and occasionally,
the modem does not reset itself properly after attempting to dialout.
Until it is reset, it will not answer the phone again.

I just wanted to share this information with everyone.  Put the following
line in your '/usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root' file.  (This will reset the
modem on port tty1A if it's not in use, and wont disrupt any process if
it is in use):

 /bin/kill `ps -e | sed -n '/?  0:0. getty/s/^[ ]*\([^ ]*\).*/\1/p'` >/dev/null

I have my cron run it every 5 minutes.

--
"A mind is a terrible thing to taste."   | Perry Minyard

glee@tigris.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (05/13/90)

In article <1990May9.171830.17486@bluemtn.uucp> perry@bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) writes:
>Our system is running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, with a Hayes modem off COM1:
>or {tty1a,tty1A}.

I am doing the same thing and I cannot get the modem to turn Auto-Answer back
on.  It doesn't seem to pay attention to the Dialers line with the "&".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are the relevant pieces:

-------------
/etc/ttys
-------------
13tty2A

-------------
/etc/gettydefs
-------------
1 # B300  HUPCL OPOST CR1 NL1 #
	B300 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 IXANY #\r\n@!login: # 3

2 # B1200 HUPCL OPOST CR1 ECHOE NL1 #
	B1200 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ECHOE IXANY #\r\n@!login: # 1

3 # B2400  HUPCL OPOST CR1 ECHOE NL1 #
	B2400 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ECHOE IXANY #\r\n@!login: # 2

-------------
/usr/lib/uucp/Devices
-------------
ACU tty2a - 2400 hayes2400
ACU tty2a - 1200 hayes2400
ACU tty2a - 300 hayes2400
ACU tty2A - 2400 hayes2400
ACU tty2A - 1200 hayes2400
ACU tty2A - 300 hayes2400

-------------
/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers
-------------
hayes2400 =,-,	"" ATQ0E0T&D2&C1S0=0X4S2=043\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\c Speed
&hayes2400 =,-,	"" +++\dATHQ0E0T&D3&C1S0=3X4S2=128\r\c OK\r ATQ1\r\c

Godfrey Lee
cognos!alzabo!tigris!glee

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/28/90)

In article <1990May13.031726.644@tigris.uucp> glee@tigris.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>In article <1990May9.171830.17486@bluemtn.uucp> perry@bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) writes:
>>Our system is running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, with a Hayes modem off COM1:
>>or {tty1a,tty1A}.
>
>I am doing the same thing and I cannot get the modem to turn Auto-Answer back
>on.  It doesn't seem to pay attention to the Dialers line with the "&".

...deleted

Most modern modems have an option that resets the modem to its
power-on state when DTR falls.  You can simply turn auto-answer
off as part of your dialing routine (don't save with &W), and
when the session is complete DTR drops momentarily and your
saved defaults restored.

There was a bug in the dialer source code on Xenix 2.2...
This bug was in the hangup processing (-h option) issued after
you were through.  I forget the exact details, but I think the
dialer would fail if it didn't receive on OK response to +++ to
wake up the modem.  This would leave the line with the DIALOUT
login requiring system reset or diddling either /etc/wtmp or
/etc/utmp (I forget which).

I could probably find my patched version of the dialer I used
before switching to dialTBIT.c
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way