[comp.unix.xenix] help with "COM2" port

aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Daiv Stoner) (06/01/90)

I'm trying to hook a terminal to the "COM2" port of a Xenix box running
SCO XENIX 386.  I assumed this was /dev/tty2a, but I keep getting errors
from getty that say something like:
can't open /dev/tty2a:  errno 6

the /dev list for tty2a looks like this:
crw-rw-rw-   1 bin      bin        5,  8 Apr  5 15:47 tty2a

I can't figure out where to find these error numbers, or what
errno 6 is, or how to fix it.  Can anyone help?

Thanx in advance.

--
Daiv Stoner                  +===============================================+
aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu | I work for the Gov't.  If I want your opinion |

aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Daiv Stoner) (06/02/90)

To cliff@cjbsys:
Thanx for your info about "haltsys" vs. "shutdown".
I tried to respond via email, but my mailer puked.
--

wht@n4hgf.uucp (Warren Tucker) (06/02/90)

In article <1990May31.202702.22392@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Daiv Stoner) writes:
>I'm trying to hook a terminal to the "COM2" port of a Xenix box running
>SCO XENIX 386.  I assumed this was /dev/tty2a, but I keep getting errors
>from getty that say something like:
>can't open /dev/tty2a:  errno 6
From /usr/include/sys/errno.h: ENXIO 6  No such device or address

which means the system when it came up
did not find a physical device to hook to tty2a.
When the system starts up, is there a line on the start up screen
for each of two serial lines?

>the /dev list for tty2a looks like this:
>crw-rw-rw-   1 bin      bin        5,  8 Apr  5 15:47 tty2a

File 'tty2a' can exist /dev without the physical device being present.

Check IRQ and/or device address strapping on the com card.
Something is wrong in Hardwareville.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare    gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht%n4hgf@gatech.edu
Any perceptible delay will eventually get on your nerves. --Bob Hyers