[comp.unix.xenix] VP/IX - File Handles and AccPac

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) (06/04/90)

I am *trying* to run the following:

SCO Xenix 2.3.3 using VP/IX 1.1 with an accounting package known
as AccPac (Very popular in Canada).  Things go along fine for a while
and then AccPac locks up with an out of file handles message.

Under Xenix I have configured the kernel to provide lots of inodes and
handles.  Is there some other parameter I ought to be taking a look at?

In the Interactive Unix group, I saw mention made of a parameter
known as NDOSINODE.  The problem complained of seemed similar to mine.
Unfortunately in SCO Xenix, I haven't run accross any such parameter.

Thanx for any help.

--

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (06/05/90)

In article <74@joymrmn.UUCP> root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:
>SCO Xenix 2.3.3 using VP/IX 1.1 with an accounting package known
>as AccPac (Very popular in Canada).  Things go along fine for a while
>and then AccPac locks up with an out of file handles message.

This sounds like a DOS error message.  Have you tried increasing the
FILES=xx line in your config.sys?  Note that this is on your drive C
and if your system doesn't give each user their own DOS environment
you must have root privileges to change this.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun4.182201.14017@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes in response to a problem of an application crashing
with the information 'Out of File Handles':

>This sounds like a DOS error message.  Have you tried increasing the
>FILES=xx line in your config.sys?  Note that this is on your drive C
>and if your system doesn't give each user their own DOS environment
>you must have root privileges to change this.

At first I thought it was a DOS message as well.  The identical files
etc. running on a clean DOS machine work fine.  I am not running on the
C drive but a 'DOSMOUNTed' D: drive.

I have also tried all sorts of different FILES= numbers to no avail.
Someone has suggested that there may be a kernel limit on the number of
files open per process so I'm going to try looking for that.