[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix deamon -- why doesn't it die??

root@lec.UUCP (Super user) (06/03/90)

	Running Xenix 386 and recently installed an Irwin tape backup
unit.  Have noticed as many as 3 deamons running at the same time for
the tape unit.  Can't seem to kill any or all of them.  It's not really
necessary to kill them but I'm more curious about why they don't die.
Does one restart the other if one dies .. the pid remains the same after
a kill. Please enlighten me.

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (06/05/90)

In article <167@lec.UUCP> root@lec.UUCP (Super user) writes:

>	Running Xenix 386 and recently installed an Irwin tape backup
>unit.  Have noticed as many as 3 deamons running at the same time for
>the tape unit.  Can't seem to kill any or all of them.  It's not really
>necessary to kill them but I'm more curious about why they don't die.
>Does one restart the other if one dies .. the pid remains the same after
>a kill. Please enlighten me.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but, programs which go south
while waiting for a device driver read/write/ioctl to complete can endup
unkillable (typically 'ps' shows the PRIO as 24 or less) and the system
must be rebooted to regain control of the device.

BTW, I have never heard of a tape drive 'deamon' -- is there actually a
background server of some sort handling access requests for the Irwin?

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com