[comp.unix.xenix] Problem with configuring kernel parameters.

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (jessea) (06/04/90)

I recently tried to change some kernel parameters and came up with an
interesting error message:

0048   FF00    _node   db    NODE, 00H
space.asm(113): error A2050:  Value out of range

I thought at first that it may be that some of the parameters I had put in
were too large, but I tried relinking the kernel with no parameters changed
except the system node name and came up with the same error.  My next step
was to reinstall the LINK kit thinking that some of the files could be
corrupted.  That didn't help either.  Does anybody have any ideas as to
why this would happen?  I'm running SCO Xenix 386/2.3.  I've got a Digiboard
in it - could it be some sort of conflict with it?  Much thanks in advance
to anyone interested enough to reply.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705     Evening: (901)382-1609
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (06/05/90)

In article <256@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP () writes:
>I recently tried to change some kernel parameters and came up with an
>interesting error message:
>
>0048   FF00    _node   db    NODE, 00H
>space.asm(113): error A2050:  Value out of range

My guess is that you are trying to install a machine name with 4 or less
characters.  From what I understand, masm tries to stuff the 4-byte string
into a long integer and the `Value out of range' error results.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

paul@tetrauk.UUCP (Paul Ashton) (06/05/90)

In article <256@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP () writes:
>I recently tried to change some kernel parameters and came up with an
>interesting error message:
>
>0048   FF00    _node   db    NODE, 00H
>space.asm(113): error A2050:  Value out of range

You left out the key to the problem which is the node name. If this is less
than 4 characters long you will get the above problem. /usr/sys/conf/config
produces an incorrect space.inc that contains the line :-
NODE	equ	"abc"
rather than the correct :-
NODE	equ	<"abc">
The angled bracket feature to force string evaluation was introduced in
MASM 5.0, previously equates were evaluated as expressions and, on failure,
strings.

So, solutions are :-
make your node name 4 chars+
add the angled brackets in space.inc and execute masm space.asm
type make after configure collapses, this will generate a C space which doesn't
  have the problem. Then type hdinstall
adb -w /xenix -
* node/W'abc'
* $q

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (06/06/90)

In article <256@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP (jessea) writes:

> 0048   FF00    _node   db    NODE, 00H
> space.asm(113): error A2050:  Value out of range
>
> relinking the kernel with no parameters changed except the system node name

The Xenix (2.3.x) link kit does not like 4 character system names.
Pick a 5 or more character system name, and it will work.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave   Ben Lomond  CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager      CIS:73557,2074

cam@void.UUCP (Cam Fox) (06/06/90)

In article <256@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP () writes:
>I recently tried to change some kernel parameters and came up with an
>interesting error message:
>
>0048   FF00    _node   db    NODE, 00H
>space.asm(113): error A2050:  Value out of range

This is a known bug in configure that occurs with nodenames of 2, 3 or 4
characters. The easy way out is to edit the files
/usr/sys/conf/{xenixconf,master}. Just look for the line in each file
that references "nodename" and edit in your system name between the quotes.
Then just do a make, link_xenix and then hdinstall to rename the old
xenix and copy the new one to "/". When you reboot, you should be
in business.

Cam Fox
cam@void.lonestar.org
{texbell,texsun,letni}!void!cam

boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz (Boyd Roberts) (06/06/90)

In article <256@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP () writes:
>I recently tried to change some kernel parameters and came up with an
>interesting error message:
>
>0048   FF00    _node   db    NODE, 00H
>space.asm(113): error A2050:  Value out of range

Yes, this is the dreaded `nodename less than 4 chars' nightmare.
One of our people got bitten by it a week or so back.

I'm of the distinct belief that I can have up to 9 characters in
my nodename.  After all, thats what <sys/utsname.h> _declares_.

Boyd Roberts			boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''