[comp.unix.xenix] Text formatting utility

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) (06/02/90)

I have XENIX 2.3.3 with the development system but no text processing.  I have
loaded and setup TeX under XENIX and that along with a collection of previewers
and DVI drivers handles my text processing needs.

The problems comes in handling UNIX(c) pages that are formatted using (I think)
nroff coding conventions.  I have ported a bunch of useful UNIX utilities to
the XENIX environment and have a whole collection of document files suffixed
with a .8.  A person can read through these and garner useful information but
it is not an optimum method for viewing documention.

This issue came into somewhat harsh light in the last week when I brought
up SMAIL 2.5 along with the pathalias code.  It was somewhat challenging to
filter the useful information in all the .8 documentation files from the the
formatting commands.

What does everyone else using XENIX use for these?  The whole end of my disk
is loaded with XENIX documentation but I have probably missed the command that
is available for deciphering these.  If I have not what is available out there
to do the formatting?  I have FTP and UUCP access so I can grab things from
pretty much anywhere.  I follow the group aggressively so comments either here
or by e-mail would work.  I would like to offer thanks in advance for any
information which may be forthcoming.

                                      As always,
                                      Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                                      NU013809@VM1.NoDak.EDU

'The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other men
 expound their wisdom.'

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/03/90)

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:
>What does everyone else using XENIX use for these?  The whole end of my disk
>is loaded with XENIX documentation but I have probably missed the command that
>is available for deciphering these.  If I have not what is available out there
>to do the formatting?  I have FTP and UUCP access so I can grab things from
>pretty much anywhere.  I follow the group aggressively so comments either here
>or by e-mail would work.  I would like to offer thanks in advance for any
>information which may be forthcoming.

What most of us use who can afford it is the SCO Xenix Text Processing system.
I have heard of some people taking other implementations of nroff and
compiling their own TP system, but  there is an SCO supported product that has
nroff and all of the goodies you need.

If you've bought Xenix in pieces, then it's understandble why you don't have
the TP system.  If you bought Xenix complete, you should have two disks that
have the TP system, it's just that whomever installed them neglected to
the TP system.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (06/06/90)

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:

>I have XENIX 2.3.3 with the development system but no text processing.  I have
>loaded and setup TeX under XENIX and that along with a collection of previewers
>and DVI drivers handles my text processing needs.

>The problems comes in handling UNIX(c) pages that are formatted using (I think)
>nroff coding conventions.  I have ported a bunch of useful UNIX utilities to
>the XENIX environment and have a whole collection of document files suffixed
>with a .8.  A person can read through these and garner useful information but
>it is not an optimum method for viewing documention.

I'm curious as to where Greg got the MAN pages if he doesn't have the
Text Processing System - my recollection is that the MAN pages are PART
of the TPS!

Regardless, I believe that the TeX distribution includes a TROFF -> TeX
converter.  If Greg has this, then he should be able to convert all the
MAN pages (or include the conversion as part of the MAN command process)
and then use the Info browser or the DVI previewers to look at the MAN
pages.

Does anyone else know more about the conversion utilities and whether this
can be done?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) (06/06/90)

Dan Wynalda thought he knew of a publicly available vesion of man which might
solve my problem.  He also wanted a copy of some of my TeX utility programs.

I replied to him via e-mail but evidently my mailer grabbed an address which
couldn't be resolved somewhere downline.  By the time the mail bounced back
I had deleted the original.

So Dan if you are reading this please drop me a note and this time I will
make sure that I find and save a return address that works.  I will also
send an address where you can send some diskettes and I will tar off the
TeX directory tree that has everything you will probably want.

                                        As always,
                                        Dr. Greg Wettstein
                                        NU013809@VM1.NoDak.EDU