[comp.unix.xenix] File Truncation, urgent question

fozzy@edvvie.at (Fozzy C. Dressel) (06/11/90)

Hi Folks !

Does anybody know a kernel parameter for truncating file which are
longer than 14 characters.E.g.

touch abcdefghijklmnopqrstu will not longer say 'could not create'

truncate it automaticly to 14 character

l abc*

total 288
-rwx------ 2 bin    bin          384 30.Mar 10.29 abcdefghijklmn

I got this problem on SCO-UNIX 3.2/386, using software, which was
developed under INTERACTIV/386.
This problem is urgent, please help
Many thanks in advance

fozzy
--
	Fozzy C. Dressel                LOCAL  :  fozzy@eliza
	EDV-Ges.m.b.H Wien              USENET :  fozzy@richie.at

ricks@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Silverstein) (06/11/90)

In article <3@edvvie.at> fozzy@edvvie.at (Fozzy C. Dressel) writes:
>Does anybody know a kernel parameter for truncating file which are
>longer than 14 characters.E.g.
>touch abcdefghijklmnopqrstu will not longer say 'could not create'
>truncate it automaticly to 14 character
>I got this problem on SCO-UNIX 3.2/386, using software, which was
>developed under INTERACTIV/386.

If you are just concerned with the touch utility, this can be done in
software.  First copy touch to touch.real.  Then replace touch with the
following shell script:

for i in $*
do
	touch.real `echo $i | cut -c1-14`
done

In article <3@edvvie.at> fozzy@edvvie.at (Fozzy C. Dressel) writes:
>Does anybody know a kernel parameter for truncating file which are
>longer than 14 characters.E.g.
>
>I got this problem on SCO-UNIX 3.2/386, using software, which was
>developed under INTERACTIV/386.

Patrick Guelat just posted a "hack" (or patch) for SCO UNIX to implement
this in comp.unix.i386  (message id <2160@impch.imp.com>, 9 Jun 90).

If you can't find it, let me know & I will email it to you.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170