[comp.unix.xenix] DOS <-- LAN --> Xenix

jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) (06/05/90)

I think I am going to give up on VP/ix for accessing devices through
internal ports.  I am thinking about buying a cheap 286 machine to
strictly run DOS applications.

My question is with respect to connectivity between my Xenix based
machine and the DOS machine.  The best solution I see is to connect
them via LAN and have the DOS machine access a U: drive that points
directly to the Xenix file system on the other machine.  Is this at
all possible???

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :^)
         /
    o __/ , , ,
   /_(_/_(_(_/_
  /
-'
Jeffrey D. Wood			 	Colorado IC Division
jdw@hpfijdw.hp.com 			(303) 229-6633

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) (06/05/90)

In article <15030015@hpfijdw.HP.COM> jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:

>My question is with respect to connectivity between my Xenix based
>machine and the DOS machine.  The best solution I see is to connect
>them via LAN and have the DOS machine access a U: drive that points
>directly to the Xenix file system on the other machine.  Is this at
>all possible???

What you need is Xenix-Net.  In addition, you might want to consider a product
by the name of COcoNet which can connect Novell, Dos (Using NetBios) and
Xenix on an Ethernet Lan.

See the comp.dcom.lans newsgroup for more information.
--

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (06/06/90)

In article <78@joymrmn.UUCP> root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:
>In article <15030015@hpfijdw.HP.COM> jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:
>>
>>My question is with respect to connectivity between my Xenix based
>>machine and the DOS machine.  The best solution I see is to connect
>>them via LAN and have the DOS machine access a U: drive that points
>>directly to the Xenix file system on the other machine.  Is this at
>>all possible???

A couple of years ago I saw a demonstration of a program from
Touchstone software, I believe the name was UnixHost that
provided many of the features of a LAN using serial lines rather
than LAN cards.  One of the features I remember included print
spooling on the UNIX/Xenix host.  I have a copy of this for the
Tandy 6000 that I have never installed that I picked up for
$50.00 at a Radio Shack Tent Sale.

Does anybody have any experience with the Touchstone product?
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

rick@comspec.uucp (Rick McCalla) (06/08/90)

In <15030015@hpfijdw.HP.COM> jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:

>I think I am going to give up on VP/ix for accessing devices through
>internal ports.  I am thinking about buying a cheap 286 machine to
>strictly run DOS applications.

>My question is with respect to connectivity between my Xenix based
>machine and the DOS machine.  The best solution I see is to connect
>them via LAN and have the DOS machine access a U: drive that points
>directly to the Xenix file system on the other machine.  Is this at
>all possible???

jeff - yes this is possible and there are several products that will do
it for you.

For serial port connections look at Ice 10 or Rapport

For ethernet connection look at Powerlan or CoCoNet

--
Comspec Communications Inc.  | Rick McCalla  ----- rick@comspec.UUCP
Toronto, Ontario  Canada     |----------------------------------

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (06/13/90)

->In <15030015@hpfijdw.HP.COM> jdw@hpfijdw.HP.COM (Jeff Wood) writes:
->
->>My question is with respect to connectivity between my Xenix based
->>machine and the DOS machine.  The best solution I see is to connect
->>them via LAN and have the DOS machine access a U: drive that points
->>directly to the Xenix file system on the other machine.  Is this at
->>all possible???
->
->jeff - yes this is possible and there are several products that will do
->it for you.
->
->For serial port connections look at Ice 10 or Rapport

Could you be a little more specific?  Who, where, anything?

->
->For ethernet connection look at Powerlan or CoCoNet

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal