[comp.unix.xenix] Problems with SCO Unix/Xenix

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (06/09/90)

In article <4664@minyos.xx.rmit.oz> s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Richard Muirden) writes:
>In article <300007@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, darko@hpspcoi.HP.COM (David Arko) writes:
>>
>> Yes, It does seem that SCO Unix 3.2.0 has a bug with 'w' and 'uptime'.
>> Maybe it will be fixed in 3.2.2
>
>And under Xenix 286 2.3.2 "w" used to give me a seek error but uptime
>worked just fine. I have yet to test this under the new version of
>Xenix I have for the 386 (2.3.2).

And under Xenix 386 2.3.1 "ps" used to give me seek error (until i
made a binary patch to the program), but "w" and "uptime" works
allright. Another case is fsck, which just silently dies when trying
to check my system disk. No error message, no nothing.

This only makes me wonder what kind of programmers SCO are keeping.
Obviosly they cannot produce working code, and in addition manages to
screw up those programs which happend to be working before they got
their hands on them.

wht@n4hgf.uucp (Warren Tucker) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun9.135124.16301@bbt.se> pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:
>This only makes me wonder what kind of programmers SCO are keeping.
>Obviosly they cannot produce working code, and in addition manages to
>screw up those programs which happend to be working before they got
>their hands on them.

Obviously, you have little or no experience in producing large
software systems :-) :-/. I would leave that as enough said, since
those who have had such experience would understand the one liner.
However, for you I will elaborate:  Since your kernel came up and
you created users and loged on, a great deal must be right.  In fact,
the w and uptime programs are minor, minor problems compared with
those persisting with many other systems in the world, from UNIX 386
implementations to multi-million dollar systems.

As for fsck, bleat all you want, but you can get around the rare root
partition fsck wont handle at startup by answering the
  Root file system [has problems] fix?
with no.  Go to single user state. Do a fsck -rr /dev/root
and it will do the work.  You may or may not have to reboot
when fsck terminates.

Conversation appreciated, flame > /dev/null.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare    gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht%n4hgf@gatech.edu
Any perceptible delay will eventually get on your nerves. --Bob Hyers

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun9.135124.16301@bbt.se> pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:

>And under Xenix 386 2.3.1 "ps" used to give me seek error (until i
>made a binary patch to the program), but "w" and "uptime" works
>allright. Another case is fsck, which just silently dies when trying
>to check my system disk. No error message, no nothing.
>
>This only makes me wonder what kind of programmers SCO are keeping.
>Obviosly they cannot produce working code, and in addition manages to
>screw up those programs which happend to be working before they got
>their hands on them.

Whoa there, bud.  I am not a SCO-vangelist, however I respect a
reasonably competant product.

I have made my living managing/programming Unix on Intel machines for
over 5 years.  I have run SCO on hardware ranging from Everex parts
stuffed into a no-name box to brand-name machines from Compaq, HP and
IBM.  I have also run ISC ix/386, Venturcom Venix, IBM Xenix, Altos
Xenix, Tandy Xenix and MWC Coherent, all on Intel machines.  They all
have problems, some worse than others.  For production environments I
still recommend and install SCO.

Before you go maligning the SCO staff, check out your hardware for
components which are not supported or kernel configuration limits which
are obviously exceeded.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

Flames to me (screw /dev/null, I can take the heat :-)

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (06/11/90)

In article <715@n4hgf.uucp>, wht@n4hgf.uucp (Warren Tucker) writes:
> In article <1990Jun9.135124.16301@bbt.se> pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:
> >This only makes me wonder what kind of programmers SCO are keeping.
> >Obviosly they cannot produce working code, and in addition manages to
>
> As for fsck, bleat all you want, but you can get around the rare root
> partition fsck wont handle at startup by answering the

Partial extract from sosco!~/SLS/info  file.

List of SCO Support Level Supplement files available for transfer using UUCP

xnx120.Z           29488        ps seek Supplement
xnx120.ltr          1164        version 2.3.0 - 2.3.1     n386

xnx124.Z           25598        fsck Supplement
xnx124.ltr          1422        version 2.3.0 - 2.3.3     386AT

xnx126.Z           20040        Delayed Boot
xnx126.ltr          1191        version 2.3.1             386AT

xnx129b.Z         540291        386 UUCP binaries, rev. B
xnx129b.ltr         4915        version 2.3.0 - 2.3.2     n386

I believe one or more of these will solve some of the complaints.
At this time, there seem to be no fixes for w or uptime.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave   Ben Lomond  CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager      CIS:73557,2074

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (06/11/90)

In article <715@n4hgf.uucp> wht@n4hgf.UUCP (Warren Tucker) writes:
>Obviously, you have little or no experience in producing large
>software systems :-) :-/. I would leave that as enough said, since
>those who have had such experience would understand the one liner.
>However, for you I will elaborate:  Since your kernel came up and
>you created users and loged on, a great deal must be right.  In fact,
>the w and uptime programs are minor, minor problems compared with
>those persisting with many other systems in the world, from UNIX 386
>implementations to multi-million dollar systems.

In fact i DO have quite some experiences of computer programming.
Probably not as much as you though, since i only had been working with
computers for 15 years. :-)
Besides i complained about the "ps" program, not w and uptime.
Someone else was complaining about w and uptime.

ps is quite important if you have 20 incoming lines and you are system
manager for that system.
"I would leave that as enough said, since those who have had such
experience would understand the one liner." :-)

I have not seen the source code for the xenix ps, but i have seen the
binary code. The program sometimes used to say "seek error", when
running it. (It was ALWAYS saying seek error on an emacs-process)
The fix was to remove the error check after a lseek(). After that it
works. After a lseek() you expect something like:
	if (lseek(....) == -1)
		error("Seek Error");
But instead i found some kind of dibbling with the low byte of the
returned value.

>As for fsck, bleat all you want, but you can get around the rare root
>partition fsck wont handle at startup by answering the
>  Root file system [has problems] fix?
>with no.  Go to single user state. Do a fsck -rr /dev/root
>and it will do the work.  You may or may not have to reboot
>when fsck terminates.

I am sorry if i said that it was on the root partition fsck failed. It
is not. It is on another partition. The program dies after 15 seconds
without any message, except for the "***** checking blocks and sizes ****"
message. Now, fsck is not an essential program either, since the
system runs without it (if you patch away the "dirty" bit in your "rc"
file). But i would for sure appreciate to have it working.

This way we can aliminate 90% of the programs of unix as "not
essential", and therefore they need not to be working. "We have more
important things to fix than non-essential programs" :-)

ps. i am soon moving from Xenix 2.3.1 to 2.3.2, hoping that it is
working better.

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (06/11/90)

In article <2672BA95.6696@marob.masa.com> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:

>Whoa there, bud.  I am not a SCO-vangelist, however I respect a
>reasonably competant product.
>
>I have made my living managing/programming Unix on Intel machines for
>over 5 years.  I have run SCO on hardware ranging from Everex parts
>stuffed into a no-name box to brand-name machines from Compaq, HP and
>IBM.  I have also run ISC ix/386, Venturcom Venix, IBM Xenix, Altos
>Xenix, Tandy Xenix and MWC Coherent, all on Intel machines.  They all
>have problems, some worse than others.  For production environments I
>still recommend and install SCO.
>
>Before you go maligning the SCO staff, check out your hardware for
>components which are not supported or kernel configuration limits which
>are obviously exceeded.

I really love that phrase "check out your hardware for components
which are not SUPPORTED". It is a good "catch-it-all" for problems.
"Of course it is not working, because you use the Y-brand component,
and on page 736 of the installation manual, at bottom of the page, we
clearly state that only X-brand components are supported" :-)

Considering the big noice about the com.unix.sco newsgroup, and the
comments i got on my text, i do think that there are quite some
SCO-vangelists here. It is obviously a hot issue.

To SCO or not to SCO -- that is the question. :-)

Still, many programs (which are working on other unix-systems) have
bugs introduced on Xenix.
For example, the c-compiler cannot compile a bigger program without
giving a "compiler bug" or two (i have switched to gcc). sdb sometimes
crashes on programs, sometimes give error messages.
Some working programs does NOT work when compiled with gcc and libc.
Some of the buggy essential programs are: getty, login, fsck, ps.
Of programming tools: cc, sdb, make, sh
I cannot remember all the programs i have found bugs in, it is so common.

The kernel works quite nicely, though, so by replacing all programs
with the GNU (or BSD) equivalents, you get quite a nice operating environment.
(Oh, i forgot the buggy serial port driver... But i don't use that one either.)

An its non-compability......
Anyone who have taken a few programs from the net knows that only very
small programs work without being patched. Has anyone tried to port
smail 3.1? Good luck!
Hint: don't try it with cc, and use the -lmalloc switch, and it works
somehow. Actually, don't try any bigger program without gcc and gdb.

If you think that it is resonable that getty, login, fsck, ps, cc,
sdb, make, sh, vpix, (and others) does not work properly, vote YEA for
sco, if you think not, vote NJET for sco.

It would be interesting to know what experiences others have of
other-brand unix-type operating systems. Can it possibly be the fact
that all PC- operating systems are not properly working?

(When is the GNU-kernel coming. I am missing it so much)

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (06/12/90)

In article <1990Jun11.071618.209@bbt.se> pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:
>I am sorry if i said that it was on the root partition fsck failed. It
>is not. It is on another partition. The program dies after 15 seconds
>without any message, except for the "***** checking blocks and sizes ****"
>message. Now, fsck is not an essential program either, since the
>system runs without it (if you patch away the "dirty" bit in your "rc"
>file). But i would for sure appreciate to have it working.

Rightly so as fsck is essential. Request xnx124 from sco!support to
get the fix for this. All fixes are listed on our SOS support
system and many are downloadable (including this one, I think).
--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (06/14/90)

According to pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha):
>Anyone who have taken a few programs from the net knows that only very
>small programs work without being patched. Has anyone tried to port
>smail 3.1? Good luck!

I did the port of Smail 3.1 to Xenix/286.  I've used it under
Xenix/286 and Xenix/386.  In fact, I just sent a message to the author
using Smail 3.1.  And I compiled them all using Xenix cc.

SCO has problems, true.  But in my experience, overall quality control
isn't one of them.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>