[comp.unix.xenix] disk mirroring under SCO UNIX

jack@netmbx.UUCP (Jack Murawski) (06/11/90)

I use in my company a NOVELL Network with disk mirorring in file server.
It is very comfortable not to must to do the backup of the server
every day and to by sure that the data is secure.
Is there any disk mirroring software for SCO UNIX 3.2 or for ODT on
the market.

Thanks for any advice.
Jack Murawski
West Berlin, Germany,
Europer

micha@gopnbg.gopas.sub.org (Michael Killermann) (06/12/90)

In article <787@netmbx.UUCP> jack@netmbx.UUCP (Jack Murawski) writes:
>I use in my company a NOVELL Network with disk mirorring in file server.
>It is very comfortable not to must to do the backup of the server
>every day and to by sure that the data is secure.
>Is there any disk mirroring software for SCO UNIX 3.2 or for ODT on
>the market.

I know only a hardware-solution.

You must use the DPT-Harddisk-Controller with the (Hardware)-Caching-Option.
This part isn't cheap (ca. 2500.- DM for the Controller and 1400.- for the
Mirorring-Option) but it is Hardware-Independent and with a another 4 MB
Option board for the Controller (normally he has only 512 KB ) very fast
under Xenix/SCO Unix and Interactive.

I use it now 1 Year and i'm very satisfied with this part.

Micha

|       Michael Killermann mk@gopas.sub.org  |  MSN:M.Killermann         |
|  DVS DV-Support und Beratungsgesellschaft mbH  8508 Wendelstein, FRG   |
|In der Gibitzen 24  Tel: +49 9129-2 64 55  Fax: +49 9129-3402	         |

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) (06/13/90)

In article <787@netmbx.UUCP> jack@netmbx.UUCP (Jack Murawski) writes:
>Is there any disk mirroring software for SCO UNIX 3.2 or for ODT on
>the market.

We use the DPT disk controller which has a hardware mirror capability.
Works fine and doesn't mess with the software.\
fred

--
Fred Rump              | UUCP:  {uunet dsinc}!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        | "Beware of cats for they are subtle and will .... on

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (06/15/90)

In article <9993@gopnbg.gopas.sub.org>, micha@gopnbg.gopas.sub.org (Michael Killermann) writes:
> In article <787@netmbx.UUCP> jack@netmbx.UUCP (Jack Murawski) writes:
> >I use in my company a NOVELL Network with disk mirorring in file server.
> >It is very comfortable not to must to do the backup of the server
> >every day and to by sure that the data is secure.
> >Is there any disk mirroring software for SCO UNIX 3.2 or for ODT on
> >the market.
>
> I know only a hardware-solution.
>
> You must use the DPT-Harddisk-Controller with the (Hardware)-Caching-Option.

Not if you have a Compaq Systempro. There are several options available
when configuring the hard drive array. One is mirroring, where for example
2 drives in a 4 drive array are allocated for mirroring. Another is data-
guarding, where one drive in a 4 driva array or 2 drives in an 8 drive
array are allocated for Compressed encrypted backup of data on the other
drives in the array. The third is controller duplexing, where a second
controller with its own drive array is installed for a completely fault
tolerent (pretty close) drive subsystem. The standard 4 drive array is
840MB the 8 drive array is double that.

Although I've studied this system, I have not actually used one under
Unix and would welcome any comments or corrections from actual users.

Bart Fisk
--
uucp: holston!barton