[comp.unix.xenix] problems with tar and Xenix 286 2.2.3

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (06/27/90)

Well the only two responses I have received were to point out a typeing
error I made when keying this into my system and playing with his by
modem. Here is a corrected repost.

In article <1281@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
I am trying to help a friend who purchased SCO Xenix 2.2.3 and has
not been using it much. He has had a number of system crashes and
feels this may be part of the problem, but I don't know.

He is having problems with tar and floppy devices, replacing tar
from the distribution N1 diskette does not help. in /etc/default/tar
entry 0 reads;

archive0=/dev/rfd096ds15        10      1200    n

There is now default entry. when you place a freshly formatted
high-density diskette in drive A: and type 'tar -cv0 *', tar will
list off the files it is archiving, when you then type 'tar -tv0',
tar returns without printing the filenames of the files backed up
and without printing a blocking a block size or an error message.
when you do a 'hd /dev/fd096ds15' hd shows that what was written
as actually all 0xFF instead of the data, after the 0xFFs comes
0xF6 from the disk format.

When I tar files to the disk using 'tar -cvf /dev/fd096ds15' tar
prints the names of the files it is archiving normally, when I type
'tar -tvf /dev/fd096ds15'  the disk table is printed out like it
should be, and using hd I see that the data is indeed there, however
if I do a 'tar -tv0' on the disk which just listed fine with the
longer command, tar returns at once with no printout of any kind.

'tar -cvf filename.tar *' and 'tar -tvf filename.tar' work correctly,
as do 'tar -cv9 *' and 'tar -cv9', where archive9=tarfile.

So far the problem only seems to occur if the tar file is a character
special file, and only if you use the numeric entry for a device
from /etc/default/tar.

At least we were able to find a way to get it to work, but it would
seem that SCO put /etc/default/tar there to make peoples lives easier,
do you know of any reason it is not?

Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.  rex!mgse!marks

ghost@robecdc.UUCP (William Sneed) (06/27/90)

In article <1281@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>I am trying to help a friend who purchased SCO Xenix 2.2.3 and has
>There is now default entry. when you place a freshly formatted
>high-density diskette in drive A: and type 'tar -cvf0 *', tar will
>list off the files it is archiving, when you then type 'tar -tvf0',

The command is 'tar cv0 *' to create the tar disk. To then list the contents
the command would be 'tar tv0'.

I understand. The man page for tar reads like mud. The 'f' option causes
tar to use the next argument as the "archive device".
Your inclusion of the 'f' option is what sis you in.

--
-William A. Sneed	 | All words are from me not my employer. All errors
-...pyrdc!robecdc!ghost  | are mine, all the glory is mine, all the flames are

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (06/27/90)

:
:He is having problems with tar and floppy devices, replacing tar
:from the distribution N1 diskette does not help. in /etc/default/tar
:entry 0 reads;
:
:archive0=/dev/rfd096ds15        10      1200    n
:
:There is now default entry. when you place a freshly formatted
:high-density diskette in drive A: and type 'tar -cvf0 *', tar will
:list off the files it is archiving, when you then type 'tar -tvf0',
: stuff deleted.

The basic problem is that you haven't used the correct form of
the tar command when using the defaults in /etc/default/tar.

To create a tar file use: ``tar -cv0 filelist''

To read the file: ``tar -xv0''

To see the directory: ``tar -tv0''
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way