[comp.unix.xenix] ODT and XENIX

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carmen Hardina) (06/15/90)

What does all this discussion about ODT have to do with XENIX?
After all, this *is* comp.unix.XENIX...

			--Carmen

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (06/16/90)

From article <8195@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, by bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carmen Hardina):
> What does all this discussion about ODT have to do with XENIX?
> After all, this *is* comp.unix.XENIX...
>
> 			--Carmen

Well... as ODT is a possible/natural upgrade path for XENIX users
(Thats what we are/were doing), I figured it would be interesting/usefull
info for those considering the change, before they made any final decisions.

Was I wrong???

--
Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris@dms.UUCP
Voice	(408) 434-3798

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carmen Hardina) (06/16/90)

In article <1102@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
>Well... as ODT is a possible/natural upgrade path for XENIX users
>(Thats what we are/were doing), I figured it would be interesting/usefull
>info for those considering the change, before they made any final decisions.
>
>Was I wrong???

No, not by any means.  I agree that it is a possible upgrade path for
*SCO* XENIX users (I included), but IMHO we shouldn't forget that this
group is intended for *XENIX* users in general.  Which includes, Intel
XENIX, IBM XENIX, Altos XENIX, etc., etc...  None of which ODT discussion
is applicable to.  Just my $0.02..

					--Carmen

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (06/29/90)

In article <8278@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> bt455s39@uhccux.UUCP (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>In article <253@pcssc.UUCP> dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) writes:
>>On the contrary, SCO will sell an ODT upgrade to Intel Xenix, IBM Xenix,
>>Altos Xenix, etc. for about the same price it sells the upgrade to
>>SCO Xenix users.
>
>I'm afraid you are seriously mistaken.  Intel 3XX systems strictly
>support serial devices, aside from network interfaces and do not
>support mice.  A lot of good ODT is under Intel XENIX.

I think you are missing something fundamental: you don't put Open DeskTop
on top of [Intel|IBM|Altos] Xenix, you replace it with Open DeskTop.
Open DeskTop is a complete graphical OS environment. You don't need
any other operating system, it is contained within Open DeskTop.

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (06/29/90)

In article <8278@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> bt455s39@uhccux.UUCP (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>In article <253@pcssc.UUCP> dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) writes:
>>On the contrary, SCO will sell an ODT upgrade to Intel Xenix, IBM Xenix,
>>Altos Xenix, etc. for about the same price it sells the upgrade to
>>SCO Xenix users.
>
>I'm afraid you are seriously mistaken.  Intel 3XX systems strictly
>support serial devices, aside from network interfaces and do not
>support mice.  A lot of good ODT is under Intel XENIX.

One clarification: SCO OS products run on industry standard ISA, EISA
and MCA hardware. Last I looked, Intel 3XX were Multibus and we don't
run on that. Sorry for the confusion.