[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix net or TCP/IP?

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (06/26/90)

In article <3303@crash.cts.com> rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) writes:
>I need to network two Compaq 386 boxes running SCO Xenix.  One of
>these boxes will be upgraded to SCO Unix as soon as WordPerfect
>finishes their port.

??? I've been running a copy of WordPerfect under ISC 1.0.6 for
at least a year (they list it as their Interactive/Microport
version). This port should also run under SCO Unix, and the
Xenix version should as well. I don't see why you're waiting,
unless it's for a newer rev of SCO Unix.

>Is SCO Xenix Net the best software to use to network the two?
>When the one box is upgraded to Unix will it make the networking
>more complicated?

I'm told that Xenix Net isn't available under SCO Unix, so it's
probably not the best route to future connectivity. I'm also
told that Xenix doesn't have NFS, so you'd be blocked there, too.

>What are the best ethernet cards to use?  Is thick or thin wire
>better?  Will the hardware be compatible after the upgrade?

We use WD8001E/B cards, with thin cable, and have no problems.
That's using Novell, rather than a Unix network. I don't
understand your last question--the only hardware issue you're
likely to run into is interrupts, if you have several expansion
boards in your systems. Otherwise, they'll never notice.

Incidentally, only consider thick Ethernet for long-distance
network connections. It costs about 10x what the thin stuff
does, and requires special tap boxes. (Long-distance meaning
over 300 meters or so.)

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) (07/01/90)

In article <670@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>??? I've been running a copy of WordPerfect under ISC 1.0.6 for
>at least a year (they list it as their Interactive/Microport
>version). This port should also run under SCO Unix, and the
>Xenix version should as well. I don't see why you're waiting,
>unless it's for a newer rev of SCO Unix.

The spool directory structure and printer configuration files are
completely different under SCO Unix.  If you tried to run the
WordPerfect installation script under SCO Unix it wouldn't be able
to install the 'WordPerfect Print Server'.  The installation script
replaces your /usr/spool/lp/interface/printername files with
WordPerfect 'filters'.  The interface scripts are not in the same
place at all.

I was able to tar on the WordPerfect program and run it (without
printing).  Other than the obvious print problem it seems to work
fine.  Has anyone tried to tweak the print function to work under
SCO Unix?

>>Is SCO Xenix Net the best software to use to network the two?
>>When the one box is upgraded to Unix will it make the networking
>>more complicated?
>
>I'm told that Xenix Net isn't available under SCO Unix, so it's
>probably not the best route to future connectivity. I'm also
>told that Xenix doesn't have NFS, so you'd be blocked there, too.

I think Ive determined what I need is TCP/IP, NFS, and Streams.

Rick Stout                                                ...uunet!eysd!rick
Ernst & Young, San Diego                                     (619) 236-1100

tb@pemstgt.gtc.de (Tillmann Basien) (07/03/90)

In article <3303@crash.cts.com> you write:

>Is SCO Xenix Net the best software to use to network the two?
If you need RFS, as a normal user, YES.
If you only need filetransfer and/or telnet, you do not need SCO XENIX NET.
If you want to share DOS-Drives and  printers on the XENIX Host, YES.
If you want to work with modern RFS, NO. ( Then UNIX and NFS)

With Excelan Workplace oder SCO TCP/IP you can connect the computers, and
you can solve many problems wirh ftp, telnet and r-utilities.
SCO XENIX NET is (very) slow. SCO does not support SCO XENIX NET in the
future. SCO XENIX NET does not work with SCO XSIGHT.

We are working with SCO XENIX NET, and we don`t need every featur

>When the one box is upgraded to Unix will it make the networking
>more complicated?
Yes, because you need another networking programm (NFS oder LAN MANAGER).
SCO XENIX NET does not work on UNIX.

>What are the best ethernet cards to use?  Is thick or thin wire
>better?  Will the hardware be compatible after the upgrade?
We are working on Excelan T205, and they are very good. If you want to work
with SCO XENIX NET, only try to work with T205.
On UNIX we have 3Com 3c503 and they are also very good.

If you use SCO XENIX NET, you can't use the cards (systec oder T205) on
UNIX, because you can't get a LLI for this cards.
We only use thin, and we have 15 connections, and all works well.

If there are more questions, please email
Tillmann

--
Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien			   tb@pemstgt.gtc.de
Programmentwicklung fuer Microcomputer		   unido!gtc!pemstgt!tb	UUCP

--

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (07/03/90)

In article <3368@crash.cts.com> rick@crash.cts.com (Rick Stout) writes:
>The spool directory structure and printer configuration files are
>completely different under SCO Unix.  If you tried to run the
>WordPerfect installation script under SCO Unix it wouldn't be able
>to install the 'WordPerfect Print Server'.  The installation script
>replaces your /usr/spool/lp/interface/printername files with
>WordPerfect 'filters'.  The interface scripts are not in the same
>place at all.

All the printer interface programs in /usr/spool/lp are shell scripts.
It should be fairly easy to patch or move the WP-installed print filters
to interface to whatever configuration SCO has in there. I know the
printer config was also changed by ISC between 1.x and 2.x, the
interface programs and such are buried a little further down under
/usr/spool/lp. Once you find them, they look the same as the "standard"
config, and can be easily patched.

Ahhh, the joys of standard configurations.....