[comp.unix.xenix] NFS Client or Server for Xenix

tonyb@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Tony Bjerstedt) (06/29/90)

Does anyone out there know where we can obtain a NFS client which will
under XENIX 386 2.3 and 282 2.2?  (A combined client/server would also
be acceptable.)  It would be of great benefit to our group if we could
use NFS to connect to our mainframes, but SCO does not appear to have a
version of NFS which works with XENIX.  The package must be able to work
with an Excellan board and their LAN Workplace software.

Please don't tell me to use SCO Unix.  It isn't an option at this point in
time.  We are locked into XENIX since we have a released product that requires
XENIX.

Thanks,
Tony Bjerstedt
tonyb@rsvl.unisys.com

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (07/01/90)

tonyb@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Tony Bjerstedt) writes:
>Does anyone out there know where we can obtain a NFS client which will
>under XENIX 386 2.3 and 282 2.2?  (A combined client/server would also
>be acceptable.)  It would be of great benefit to our group if we could
>use NFS to connect to our mainframes, but SCO does not appear to have a
>version of NFS which works with XENIX.  The package must be able to work
>with an Excellan board and their LAN Workplace software.

I've asked this question and there is no NFS for Xenix and there probably
never will be.  Xenix doesn't directly support what is needed for NFS.

If I'm wrong, somebody please inform me since I have a use for a Xenix NFS
product.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

tb@pemstgt.gtc.de (Tillmann Basien) (07/03/90)

In article <3366@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>tonyb@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Tony Bjerstedt) writes:
>>Does anyone out there know where we can obtain a NFS client which will
>>under XENIX 386 2.3 and 282 2.2?  (A combined client/server would also
>>be acceptable.)  It would be of great benefit to our group if we could
>>use NFS to connect to our mainframes, but SCO does not appear to have a
>>version of NFS which works with XENIX.  The package must be able to work
>>with an Excellan board and their LAN Workplace software.
>
>I've asked this question and there is no NFS for Xenix and there probably
>never will be.  Xenix doesn't directly support what is needed for NFS.
>
>If I'm wrong, somebody please inform me since I have a use for a Xenix NFS
>product.

No, this is the information I have too. XENIX has no FSS, which you need
for a good implementaion of NFS.

--
Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien			   tb@pemstgt.gtc.de
Programmentwicklung fuer Microcomputer		   unido!gtc!pemstgt!tb	UUCP

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (07/03/90)

According to jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau):
>There is no NFS for Xenix and there probably never will be.

I think that this statement is correct.

>Xenix doesn't directly support what is needed for NFS.

I believe that this statement is false.  It's not a technical problem,
it's a marketing decision.  Since Xenix supports transparent remote
file access with Xenix-Net, SCO can't claim that Xenix internals
preclude remote file access.

Think about it from SCO's perspective.  If they give you NFS on your
Xenix box, would you "upgrade" to "real" System V?  I wouldn't.

Of course, even if NFS were available, I might not buy it.  ESIX is
quite inexpensive, and it includes RFS with the base package.  I'd
rather use RFS than NFS any day.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>