[comp.unix.xenix] Emergency Boot Floppy construction

jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) (06/28/90)

I have SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and all of the disk recovery procedures mention the
"Emergency Boot Floppy"  which the Installation Instructions are supposed to
tell me how to make one.  I can't find any such directions in the documentation
set.  If anybody knows, what is the specific manual and page number?

Blind as a bat apparently,

Jack Benzel
jack_benzel@hpfcla.HP.COM

jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) (06/28/90)

Thanks for the responses shown below!

I too almost never found this passage. It is in the System Administrators
Guide under "Using Floppy Disks and Tape Drives". Good luck.

    jfrench@cs.tamu.edu       Jeff French        "Gig-Em Aggies"

I think ``mkdev floppy'' does the trick.
It creates a single-floppy file system, with some (not all!) necessary
programs.  You'll have to scan it, and see if all's there, cat, ls, rm, etc.
etc.

Rob van Leeuwen

jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) (06/28/90)

More responses:

mkdev fd

Then follow the bouncing ball.

You may have problems if you have a large number of devices on
your system since your /dev directory is cloned on the floppy
with the exception of /dev/root ...

I have edited /usr/lib/mkdev/fd to eliminate all the multi-port
devices so as not to fill up the inodes on the floppy.

Bill.
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

look at 'sysadmsh' or something like that. Its the
System Admistrator's Shell. A program actually. One
of the menu options (its menu driven), is create a
boot floppy.

Mark DiVecchio

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (06/29/90)

In article <15030016@hpfinote.HP.COM> jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) writes:
>I have SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and all of the disk recovery procedures mention the
>"Emergency Boot Floppy"  which the Installation Instructions are supposed to
>tell me how to make one.  I can't find any such directions in the documentation
>set.  If anybody knows, what is the specific manual and page number?
>
>Blind as a bat apparently,
>
>Jack Benzel
>jack_benzel@hpfcla.HP.COM

Now you've caused me to pull out my old 2.3.1 Xenix docs.

I remember that the 2.3.2 Xenix SysAdmin Guide was the same, so
I'd suggest looking under section 16.3.4 (Making Filesystems on
Floppy Disks).  In the doc rev I have it's on pg 16-10 in the
Installation and Maintenance Guide.  Yes, it's well disguised and
hidden, but it's there.

The simple answer to your question; do a
	mkdev fd
and answer the prompts (which is what a "man mkdev" tells us),
or it should be accessible off a sysadmsh option if you'd prefer
to go through a few extra layers of sfw to get to the same place.

I'd suggest mounting your resulting bootable/rootable when you're
done and adding any commands you personally might find useful,
noting that your requirements may differ from mine and you may
have to remove some files (unecessary to you) to make room - carefully.

Here's my (lr) list from back when I was using Xenix.
Salt & pepper to taste - carefully.

Won't hurt to fsck it after you're done when you umount it.

====
bin    boot   dev    etc    mnt    tmp    xenix

./bin:
cp       dd       dumpdir  fsck     restor   rm       sync     vi
ctar     dparam   ed       l        restore  sh       tar

./dev:
cga          fd096ds9     lp0i         rfd048       rhd01        swap
clock        hd00         lp1          rfd048ds8    rhd02        systty
cmos         hd01         lp1f         rfd048ds9    rhd03        tty
color        hd02         lp1i         rfd048ss8    rhd04        tty01
colour       hd03         lp2          rfd048ss9    rhd0a        tty02
console      hd04         lp2f         rfd096       rhd0d        tty03
d1057all     hd0a         lp2i         rfd096ds15   rhd0root     tty04
dsk          hd0d         mem          rfd096ds18   rhd10        tty05
ega          hd0root      mono         rfd096ds9    rhd11        tty06
erct0        hd10         monochrome   rfd1         rhd12        tty07
error        hd11         nrct0        rfd1135ds18  rhd13        tty08
fd0          hd12         nrct2        rfd1135ds9   rhd14        tty09
fd0135ds18   hd13         null         rfd148       rhd1a        tty10
fd0135ds9    hd14         ram00        rfd148ds8    rhd1d        tty1A
fd048        hd1a         rct0         rfd148ds9    rinstall     tty1a
fd048ds8     hd1d         rct2         rfd148ss8    rinstall1    tty2A
fd048ds9     install      rd1057all    rfd148ss9    rmt          tty2a
fd048ss8     install1     rdsk         rfd196       root         u
fd048ss9     kmem         recover      rfd196ds15   rrecover     vga
fd096        lp           rfd0         rfd196ds18   rroot        xct0
fd096ds15    lp0          rfd0135ds18  rfd196ds9    rswap
fd096ds18    lp0f         rfd0135ds9   rhd00        ru

./dev/dsk:

./dev/rdsk:

./dev/rmt:

./etc:
badtrk      dkinit      haltsys     masterboot  mnttab      utmp
default     emulator    inir        mkdev       mount
divvy       fdisk       init        mknod       umount

./etc/default:
boot

./mnt:

./tmp:
====

  Ed. A. Hew      SCO Authorized Instructor      XeniTec Consulting Services
  edhew@xenitec.on.ca  | ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!edhew   |  (519) 570-9848
	   (sco.opendesktop newsgroup <=> mlist gateway maintainer)

phil@lgnp1.LS.COM (Phil Eschallier) (07/03/90)

In article <15030017@hpfinote.HP.COM> jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) writes:

>I think ``mkdev floppy'' does the trick.
>It creates a single-floppy file system, with some (not all!) necessary
>programs.  You'll have to scan it, and see if all's there, cat, ls, rm, etc.
>etc.
>
>Rob van Leeuwen

	actually you will want to try the following for creating a bootable
	floppy:

		"mkdev fd"

	read the man page for more info and restrictions ...

--
Phil Eschallier   * Domain: phil@ls.com           SNAIL: 248B Union Street
                  *   UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!phil         Doylestown, PA  18901

hb@vpnet.chi.il.us (hank barta) (07/04/90)

Well ok. I went through the fine manuals several times before I found
it. (I was almost ready to post...:-)

I have another question in the same vein: Once the emergency boot
floppy is made, how does one go about reloading a full system backup
from the same floppy drive? In this case the boot device is the same
as the backup device. Is a boot floppy no good if more than a fsck is
required in an 'emergency'?

(I'm running SCO Unix, but I suspect the procedure would be the same
Unix or Xenix.)

hank

White Oak Software Inc.                 Henry Barta
0 South 258 Park                        (708) 462-6909 (voice)
Winfield, IL 60190                      ...!vpnet.chi.il.us!pswin!barta
Predictable systems by design.          hb@vpnet.chi.il.us

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (07/05/90)

:	actually you will want to try the following for creating a bootable
:	floppy:
:
:		"mkdev fd"
:
:	read the man page for more info and restrictions ...

It may be wise to build a system with only the disks and tape
drive configured, then make and test your boot floppies.

Afterwards you can add the 69,000 /dev entried required to
activate your favorite toys.  You don't need pty's on your
boot disc, and such files may overflow the floppy disc.