[comp.unix.xenix] Expanding INODEs

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (06/26/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>Note that this problem (and it's solution) are not special to Xenix.  All
>System V unix systems have the same problem.

Will Sys V release 4 have this same problem?

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
 Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-3745 / lots of files & free PEP feeds!

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun25.123329.19800@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <1817@anomaly.sbs.com> mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
> >article expiration) the machine will run "out of inodes". Currently, as
> >I write, we've got 21,000 inodes left.
There are two places where you can get the "out of inodes" error
message.  One is if the file system runs out of inodes as above.
The other is if the kernel runs out of inodes.  This is where
I've seen it all too often on busy systems that open lots of files.
SCO delivers Xenix 2.3.1-2.3.3 pre-configured for a 1mb of RAM
system (which works amazingly well).  If you have more than 1mb
or RAM, open the manual to "Tuning Kernel Parameters" and increase
the number of file locks, open files, buffers, and inodes to the
recommendations in the manual using /usr/sys/conf/configure utility.

> Suggestions for file systems:
> 	/ (root) very small (just enough for the required stuff)
> 	/usr
> 	/usr/spool (or whereever you put your news)
> 	/users (or whatever you call the partition where your users reside.
Wrong.  If you make a mountable file system called "/usr/spool", then
cron will not start because the file systems are mounted AFTER cron is
started and cron needs /usr/spool/cron/* to run.  See the file
/etc/rc.d/README for details.  I suggest you make the
following file systems:
	/ (root)  leave enought room here for /tmp to handle the
	   largest file that needs to be un-compressed.  Be generous.
	/u    Where the user stuff belongs.  The objective is to
	   make it easy to backup.  Mixing user home directories with
	   the /usr/lib, /usr/sys /usr/ad_nausium is very messy.
	   Also /user1  is too hard to type.
 	/usr/spool/news   Put thy news here.  This filesystem gets
	   lots of inodes.  If you use the pre-compiled b news 2.11
	   from sosco, the you have to put it here.  If you compile
	   your own from source, /news is easier to deal with.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave   Ben Lomond  CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager      CIS:73557,2074

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (06/29/90)

In article <1817@anomaly.sbs.com> mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>Is there a way to expand the number of blocks on the filesystem to
>handle more inodes? For instance, let's say I wanted to increase the
>number of available blocks for inodes to 20,000 blocks. Is there a
>way to do this? I've looked thru several thousand pages of SCO
>documentation and cannot find a reference of any sort.

There isn't any way to do it in place. No matter what you do, you will
have to reinstall Xenix on your root.

BEFORE you start this process, you are going to have to hack the
installation floppies. I don't know the exact trick off the top
of my head, but in the next day or two I will work it out. Probably
modify /usr/lib/mkdev/hd. Stay tuned.
--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services

mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (06/30/90)

In article <667@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>The easiest thing to do is create a separate filesystem for your
>news spool directory (you didn't make the entire 700+MB ONE file
>structure, did you? You shouldn't, you'll run out of inodes....)

No, we had a /u filesystem too, which was where we put our news.
Actually, it was /dev/news... But, with a full feed, and a 14 day
expiration, inodes keep running out.

>with the maximum number of inodes Xenix will take, and mount it
>as /usr/spool/news or whatever. I mount mine as /news, to cut
>down on path length a little. Works great; the rest of the system
>doesn't crash if spooldir fills up, and so on....

What I'm trying now is to make:

/dev/news -> /usr/spool/news
/dev/rec  -> /usr/spool/news/rec
/dev/comp -> /usr/spool/news/comp

Unfortunately, inews expects all files to be on the same filesystem,
so I'm getting error messages when I post news. I'll be surprised if
this makes it out.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President       -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
----------------------------------------- Box 17220, Esmond, RI  02917 --

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (07/03/90)

In article <1876@anomaly.UUCP> mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>No, we had a /u filesystem too, which was where we put our news.
>Actually, it was /dev/news... But, with a full feed, and a 14 day
>expiration, inodes keep running out.

Thats easy: back up all the files on /dev/news and run:

	mkfs /dev/news blocks:inodes

As someone pointed out to me, it is normally useless to make inodes
greater than blocks, since each file will use at least one block
(exception is device special files and their ilk).

Make the file system the same size as it was (or you'll have to get
into at least the divvy table if not other issues).

Maybe you should take on fewer news groups or set the expiration
to fewer days.... You know, you don't have to download
alt.cyberpunk.bondage.bork.bork.bork.

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			  "The True Believers will...formulate

mike@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (07/06/90)

In article <7622@scorn.sco.COM> rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:
>Maybe you should take on fewer news groups or set the expiration
>to fewer days.... You know, you don't have to download
>alt.cyberpunk.bondage.bork.bork.bork.

Unfortunately, that cannot be. We act as a distribution center for news in
Rhode Island. Although... I do trim down the number of newsgroups on a
regular basis because of forged newsgroups, etc., so things get 'junk'ed,
which has a 1 day expiration.

what it looks like we'll have to do is actually patch the news software,
both RN and Bnews, to allow posting articles to multiple filesystems.
Either that, or rewrite the link() function so that it copies files instead
of creating links to them.

MD