[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix tar reading SUN tapes

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) (06/29/90)

I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.

Any help would be appreciated.

--

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (06/29/90)

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:

>I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
>no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
>tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.

The bytes might be swapped.  Try reading one tape into the system using dd,
using the "conv=swab" option, then look at the resulting file.

or

you could use the following command:

dd if=/dev/rct0 conv=swab | tar tvf -

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (06/29/90)

:
:Any help would be appreciated.
:
:--
:|||  Marcel D. Mongeon
:|||  e-mail:    ... (uunet, maccs)!joymrmn!root  or
:|||                                joymrmn!marcelm

You probably need to specify the full device as:
	tar -xvf /dev/rct0 ...

The device /dev/erct0 is error correcting and will not read tapes
created without the error correcting information.
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

In article <87@joymrmn.UUCP> root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:
| I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
| no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
| tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.

  To read them you will probably need a Sun to convert them to standard
format. Sun has two formats, /dev/rst0 which is probably what you have,
and /dev/rst8 which is QIC-24. QIC-24 is what the rest of the world
uses, has a higher density and transfer rate, and should be the default
for everything (but isn't).

  If the data is valuable, copy the file off into a disk file, then back
on another tape. You should be able to read under UNIX or Xenix. I have
done this reasonable often.

       $ dd if=/dev/rst0 of=/tmp/tarfix bs=127	# read the old tape
       $ dd if=/tmp/tarfix of=/dev/rst8 bs=127	# write a new tape

  Hope this helps.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

pf@artcom0.artcom.north.de (Peter Funk) (07/02/90)

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:

mm> I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
mm> no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
mm> tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.

mm> Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried to inspect the tape using the following command ?
(replace 'less' with your favorite pager)
	hd < /dev/rct0 | less

If pathnames look like 'u/rsg/mase' instead of '/usr/games', you might be
able to successfully read in the tapes with the command :
	dd if=/dev/rct0 conv=swab | tar xvf -
--
Peter Funk \\ ArtCom GmbH, Schwachhauser Heerstr. 78, D-2800 Bremen 1
Work at home: Oldenburger Str.86, D-2875 Ganderkesee 1 /+49 4222 6018 (8am-6pm)
>> PLEASE Don't send BIG mails (oversea) ! I've to pay for it : $0.3/kB
   Don't use the bang path of this news article for mails (They will bounce).
   Only the address 'pf@artcom0.artcom.north.de' will work. Thank You ! <<

phil@lgnp1.LS.COM (Phil Eschallier) (07/03/90)

In article <87@joymrmn.UUCP> root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:
>I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
>no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
>tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

	this may have been discussed in this group before but here is
	what i have found --

	when transporting files ( xenix <--> sun ) it is necessary
	to use the /dev/rst8 device on the sun side -- this is the
	low density device.  apparently xenix can only handle the
	low desity output on the DC600A (and compatable) cartes.

	some tape guru may have an alternative solution but the only
	thing i can suggest is going back and re-creating the cartes
	with "tar cvf /dev/rst8 filespec" on your sun.

--
Phil Eschallier   * Domain: phil@ls.com           SNAIL: 248B Union Street
                  *   UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!phil         Doylestown, PA  18901

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (07/03/90)

[Xenix tape freaks: there's a question for you at the bottom of this article!]

In article <1220@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  To read them you will probably need a Sun to convert them to standard
> format. Sun has two formats, /dev/rst0 which is probably what you have,
> and /dev/rst8 which is QIC-24. QIC-24 is what the rest of the world
> uses, has a higher density and transfer rate, and should be the default
> for everything (but isn't).

According to the Xenix manual, both QIC-11 and QIC-24 exist, but
QIC-11 doesn't seem to exist on one of my machines. (??)  It would appear
therefore that the best way to go about this is to

	tar cf /dev/rst8 on sun, tar xf /dev/rct0 on Xenix (QIC-24)

and if that fails

	tar cf /dev/rst0 on sun, tar xf /dev/rct2 on Xenix (QIC-11)

Odd, eh?  I can't find any mention in TFM *why* the driver for
my wangtek drive can't do QIC-11 but the one for the archive can.

Both do QIC-24 though, and since that's "standard" (hah!) now, I suppose
it doesn't matter.

Now a question for anyone who knows about Xenix tapes:

On my archive (viper 60e with SC402 card) the driver seems to need to be
prodded a little after changing tapes which rather confuses restor.  The
wangtek doesn't have this problem.  Anyone know how to get around this ?
(I'm using the standard SCO driver and OS 2.3.1 on the machine with the
wangtek, and 2.3.2 on the other)

[ ronald inserts tape, shuts drive door, brrrrrzzzzt! ]

$ tape status
     status : no-cartridge
soft errors : 0
hard errors : 0
  underruns : 0

[ don't touch a thing, just do tape status again ]

$ tape status
     status :
soft errors : 0
hard errors : 0
  underruns : 0

[ oh really ? ]
Anyone know how to get around this ?  (other than going to another
multiscreen and doing : < /dev/rct0 I mean)

--
Eunet: Ronald.Khoo@robobar.Co.Uk  Phone: +44 81 991 1142  Fax: +44 81 998 8343
Paper: Robobar Ltd. 22 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Middx., UB6 7JD ENGLAND.

chapman@fornax.UUCP (John Chapman) (07/08/90)

In article <1220@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <87@joymrmn.UUCP> root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:
> | I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
> | no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
> | tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.
>
>   To read them you will probably need a Sun to convert them to standard
> format. Sun has two formats, /dev/rst0 which is probably what you have,
> and /dev/rst8 which is QIC-24. QIC-24 is what the rest of the world
> uses, has a higher density and transfer rate, and should be the default
> for everything (but isn't).

You definitely need qic24 (rst8) so check that; but you will also probably have
to byte-swap the tape (I do), e.g.

dd if=/dev/yourtape ibs=52100 conv=swab | tar tvf -

on your 386. Hope this helps.

In article <926@fornax.UUCP>, chapman@fornax.UUCP (John Chapman) writes:
> In article <1220@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> > In article <87@joymrmn.UUCP> root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:
.
.
.

> You definitely need qic24 (rst8) so check that; but you will also probably have
> to byte-swap the tape (I do), e.g.
>
> dd if=/dev/yourtape ibs=52100 conv=swab | tar tvf -
>
> on your 386. Hope this helps.

ooopppps, that should have been ibs=51200 (actually it will work without it but very slowly)