[comp.unix.xenix] u386mon question.

erik@echocen.UUCP (Erik Ch. Ohrnberger) (07/11/90)

Strangest thing.  I just got both versions of the u386mon program from
the net.  When I tried to compile it, it calls for a header file
called "nlist.h".  I searched hi and low for this header file to no
avail.  What's the deal?  I used the Makefile.sco to make sure that it
should compile.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is there
something that I'm doing wrong?

I'm trying to compile this program on a Xenix System V version 2.3.2
system, using the standard development system that came with the OS.

Please send me a mail message at home or at work if this is a really
stupid question.

		Thanks,		        Erik.

--
Erik Ohrnberger             Work: sharkey!edsews!edstip!ohrnb
2620 Woodchase Court        Home: sharkey!eds.com!echocen!erik

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (07/12/90)

In article <730@echocen.UUCP> erik@echocen.UUCP (Erik Ch. Ohrnberger) writes:
>Strangest thing.  I just got both versions of the u386mon program from
>the net.  When I tried to compile it, it calls for a header file
>called "nlist.h".  I searched hi and low for this header file to no
>avail.
>
>I'm trying to compile this program on a Xenix System V version 2.3.2
>system,

u386mon only work with UNIX System 5 Release 3 and derivatives
(of which only SCO UNIX/386 3.2.0, 3.2.1 and ISC 386/ix 2.0.1 and
2.0.2 has proven to work).  Xenix uses xlist vs.  nlist, but
there are more gotchas, such as the lack of the S5R3 panels
enhancement to curses.

Somebody wrote me they were going to port it to XENIX.  I
suggested it will be such a different program when I gets
finished, he should name it x386mon.

XENIX internals are similar in ways, but very different than
S5R3.  I thought about trying to include XENIX, since the SCO
approach makes this so trivially simple for _applications_, but
kmem watchers don't fit this rule.  u386mon is a "systems
program," in the old sense of the word, one of the few I have had
cause to write since coming to the UNIX world.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a new version of the program
which is less expensive to run (several cpu percentage points)
and has improved Wyse 60 and ISC support.  If you are interested,
e-mail me with 'send u386mon' or something like that on the
subject line.

I'll post a 2.00 version sometime this summer, but I want to
shake it out some more and think carefully about how I might
support custom user-constructed screens.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare  emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Any perceptible delay will eventually get on your nerves. --Bob Hyers