[comp.unix.xenix] i've got...

swade@bauhaus.UUCP (Swade) (07/11/90)

At work i use ESIX /386... recently I invested in a new home system but find
dos to be unappealing is there a cost effective solution to being able to
run unix at home with a 386 and a SCSI hard drive? I had taken a look at
Coherent ($99 unix variant) but it doesn't support my SCSI drive.. Any
ideas?

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (07/13/90)

In article <BXR5L1w161w@bauhaus.UUCP> swade@bauhaus.UUCP (Swade) writes:
>At work i use ESIX /386... recently I invested in a new home system but find
>dos to be unappealing is there a cost effective solution to being able to
>run unix at home with a 386 and a SCSI hard drive? I had taken a look at
>Coherent ($99 unix variant) but it doesn't support my SCSI drive.. Any
>ideas?

There is also minix but I think that is the same problem as coherent for you.
If you wan't to get the full benefit of the 386 I think you need one of a
full blown 386 Unix.  Why not get the cheapest ESIX you can get which is
usable?  The 2 user if you don't need the extra ports but even the unlimited
license is not bad if you don't get the development system.  You can then get
the GNU tools for your development.  This might take a fair bit of work but
hey, it's a hobby isn't it?  :-)

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude