[comp.unix.xenix] Desktop publishing under VP/IX.

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (06/16/89)

I am looking for a desktop publishing program that will work under
SCO Xenix w/ VP/ix. I really don't want to spend more than $100 so
that is the basic limitation. My only real concern is that someone
has already "tested" the software to run under VP/ix. I'd sure
hate to buy a package and then find out that it blows up the first
time.

Thanks.
--

Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator                           rutgers!lilink!mikej

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (06/18/89)

In article <734@lilink.UUCP>, mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
> I am looking for a desktop publishing program that will work under
> SCO Xenix w/ VP/ix. I really don't want to spend more than $100 so
> that is the basic limitation. My only real concern is that someone
> has already "tested" the software to run under VP/ix. I'd sure
> hate to buy a package and then find out that it blows up the first
> time.
> Michael R. Johnston
> System Administrator                           rutgers!lilink!mikej
> LILINK Public Access Xenix  (516) 872-2137/2138/2349 1200/2400 Login: new

I first saw AMI (from Samna) at USENIX in New York and was impressed.  So
I purchased it and installed it on my SCO386 machine (2.2.3).  It uses
Microsoft Windows 286 as it's presentation, and is quite effective, with
both Draft and View modes.  I used an HPLaser JetII with a PageSTyler board
for true Postscript output, and am quite happy with it.  Note: this is for
sometimes use, and only for I user at a time.  I would prefer a Unix version
but the cash box presently doesn't allow it.
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce	bruce@wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (07/13/90)

We are considering implementing one of the popular DOS desktop
publishing packages (probably PageMaker) under VP/IX.  Before committing
to this task, I'd like to hear about problems anyone has incurred doing
the same thing.

Also, does anyone know if any of the DOS-originated desktop publishing
packages are available in a native Xenix version?

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) (07/19/90)

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:

>We are considering implementing one of the popular DOS desktop
>publishing packages (probably PageMaker) under VP/IX.  Before committing

Here we've been using Ventura and so are several of our customers.

>Also, does anyone know if any of the DOS-originated desktop publishing
>packages are available in a native Xenix version?

Other than pagemaker or ventura? Which ones?

Rumor has it that frame will be out on SCO's desktop system soon.
But other than that, who knows?
fred

--
Fred Rump              | UUCP:  {uunet dsinc}!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        | "Beware of cats for they are subtle and will .... on