[comp.unix.xenix] TeX

wain@seacbc.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (12/12/88)

Have just tried to compile the drivers for recent posting of tex in this group.
Seems that either the file 'findfile.h' is missing or I missed something.
--
Wain Dobson
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!tessera!seacbc!wain

guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (01/18/89)

Does anyone know if there is a reasonable version of TeX/LaTeX for
SCO Xenix/386?

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (01/19/89)

In article <45100005@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>Does anyone know if there is a reasonable version of TeX/LaTeX for
>SCO Xenix/386?

The source I posted a while ago should run fine on SCO Xenix/386 since
it even runs on SCO Xenix/286. But the C-version straight of the Tex
distribution tape (if it's on there...) should compile and run fine.

In theory you need an "undump" program for creating a preloaded version
of Tex, but more and more people just ignore that since loading the
plain format only takes a few seconds anymore.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

john@smosjc.UUCP (John Conover) (01/20/89)

In article <45100005@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anyone know if there is a reasonable version of TeX/LaTeX for
> SCO Xenix/386?

Check with the University of Warshington. Has 9 track (lot'sa utilities)
of C source for TeX, LaTex, ect. About a couple of hundred bucks. Written
for SUN but can be compiled in Bell Tech. or Xenix with a litter persuation.

	John
	..uunet!smosjc!john

Mail me if you need address and contact ..

erol@quame.UUCP (Erol K. Yesin) (09/17/89)

Can any one tell me where one can find a pd TEX.  Will this TEX out perform
troff and family of preprocessors.
Erol
uunet!quame!erol

jaffe@hoss.unl.edu (David Jaffe) (07/21/90)

Does anyone have explicit instructions for installing TeX under Xenix?
I have the files on my machine, but I can't get the make file to run.

David Jaffe (jaffe@hoss.unl.edu)
University of Nebraska, Lincoln

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul20.201046.26621@hoss.unl.edu> jaffe@hoss.unl.edu (David Jaffe) writes:

>Does anyone have explicit instructions for installing TeX under Xenix?
>I have the files on my machine, but I can't get the make file to run.
>
>David Jaffe (jaffe@hoss.unl.edu)
>Department of Mathematics and Statistics
>University of Nebraska, Lincoln

I assume you have or can get the web2c distribution.  This comes in two
pieces.  One is web2c itself and the other is the tex.web source.
I picked up both pieces via anonymous ftp from ics.uci.edu (128.195.1.1)
in /TeX.  The files are called web-5.0b.tar.Z and web2c-5.0c.tar.Z.
(These are unpacked by saying `zcat web-5.0b.tar.Z | tar xvf -' and
 `zcat web2c-5.0c.tar.Z | tar xvf -'.)

After unpacking you have directory web2c.  Read all the `readme's
and `install's.  Edit the Makefile and site.h files to your taste (look
at the default search path directories in site.h).
	Use `CC=gcc -traditional -m80387' in the Makefile
	if you have gcc otherwise CC=cc.
You will also have to edit the file web/Makefile instructions on
how to make tangle.p (Xenix does not like the shell "until ..." syntax
used).  It should read simply:

tangle.p: tangle.web tangle.ch
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o tangle tangleboot.c tanglext.c
	tangle tangle.web tangle.ch

You should now be able to type make.
It will only take an hour or two, but everything should compile cleanly.
(I do `make |& tee make.out' so I can see it work and save the results.)

			* * *

Okay, now you have initex and virtex (in web2c/tex).  What now?  Well,
this is a fine mess.  You now need plain.tex, hyphen.tex, and a complete
set of *.tfm files and *.pk font files and dvi2whatever programs!
Let's assume you have all this (some of which is available from
labrea.stanford.edu (36.8.0.47) in /pub/tex/lib,* (you have to look)).

Move, copy, or link the plain.tex and hyphen.tex files to the TEXINPUTS
directory, the *.tfm files to the TEXFONTS directory, and the tex.pool
file to the TEXPOOL directory as defined in site.h (remember site.h?, ...).
	Run `initex plain' this creates plain.fmt.
Move, copy, or link plain.fmt to the TEXFORMATS directory.
Link virtex to tex in your /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.
	Now run `tex' on a suitable .tex file.
You now have a .dvi file which must to translated via a dvi2XXX program
to print on your favorite XXX printer.

This should get you started.  As Bob Dylan once said,
``Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.''