[comp.unix.xenix] Altos 2086 Questions

rcj@ozdaltx.UUCP ( Dallas) (07/22/90)

I am currently doing some work on an Altos 2086 Xenix box and have
a few questions regarding it.

   1) Is there a way to have virtual consoles in this version of Xenix?
      I have a few terminals which need to switch out of one appliaction
      and into mail fairly often, and saving their documents, exiting
      the word processing package, and going into mail is a time
      consuming endevour.

   2) On the topic of word procesing packages, we are currently using
      Rword, which in my esteamed opinion, needs help.  I contacted
      Altos and they mentioned a product called Uniplex.  Does
      anyone have any insight on this product?  Are there any other
      companies which have ported software to the 2086?  I have
      heard rumors that it is binary compatible with SCO, but don't
      know if this is true.

   3) Are there any good, simple, shell programs out there?  We are
      running a simple shell script for our menus at the moment,
      and before I dive into re-writing these from scratch, I though
      I would ask the net if there were any pre-written ones available.

   4) Last question (I promise!!): Is there a program available to
      download soft fonts to HP Laserjets via Xenix?

                    Thanks,
                        Robert

tachyon@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Tane' Tachyon) (07/22/90)

In article <6774@ozdaltx.UUCP> rcj@ozdaltx.UUCP ( Dallas) writes:
>I am currently doing some work on an Altos 2086 Xenix box and have
>a few questions regarding it.
>
> [some questions deleted]
>
>   4) Last question (I promise!!): Is there a program available to
>      download soft fonts to HP Laserjets via Xenix?

You're probably looking for some kind of font-manager program, but
just in case it would be useful to you, here's a script I made to
download a font, give it an ID number and make it permanent.

     echo "\033*c999D\c" > /dev/lp0
     # tells LaserJet to use ID 999 for the font
     cp anyfont.hpf /dev/lp0
     # copies font to printer
     echo "\033*c999d5F\c" > /dev/lp0
     # makes font "permanent"

Obviously you would use a different port if your printer wasn't hooked
up to lp0.  Hmm, actually, this was for an SCO XENIX system --probably
your Altos system has different device names for the parallel and
serial ports.

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (07/23/90)

In article <6774@ozdaltx.UUCP> rcj@ozdaltx.UUCP ( Dallas) writes:
>I am currently doing some work on an Altos 2086 Xenix box and have
>a few questions regarding it.
>
>   1) Is there a way to have virtual consoles in this version of Xenix?

If this is the same Xenix (3.0?) which runs on the 586, 686, and 886, it
is derived from V7 unix and predates sxt's, pty's (pseudo-terminals)
which are the devices used to provide multiscreens on serial lines.

>      I have a few terminals which need to switch out of one appliaction
>      and into mail fairly often, and saving their documents, exiting
>      the word processing package, and going into mail is a time
>      consuming endevour.

If the application offers an "execute shell command" key or command, you
could have the users escape to some mail services menu.  If you make the
menu command name short, it won't feel like so much work.  Or, if your
terminals have the capability to redefine function keys, you might make
a key transmit the entire "escape to mail" sequence.  This makes
accessing the mail menu feel like a "hotkey"-accessed operation.

>   2) On the topic of word procesing packages, we are currently using
>      Rword, which in my esteamed opinion, needs help.  I contacted
>      Altos and they mentioned a product called Uniplex.  Does
>      anyone have any insight on this product?  Are there any other
>      companies which have ported software to the 2086?  I have
>      heard rumors that it is binary compatible with SCO, but don't
>      know if this is true.

The main editor portion of Uniplex looks and feels almost exactly like
SCO Lyrix.  The basic editing commands are identical, although I didn't
get far enough into Uniplex to see if the more complex editing functions
are compatible with Lyrix.  Uniplex also provides some nice add-in
modules, like a popup calculator.

>   3) Are there any good, simple, shell programs out there?  We are
>      running a simple shell script for our menus at the moment,
>      and before I dive into re-writing these from scratch, I though
>      I would ask the net if there were any pre-written ones available.

If you go with Uniplex, you can extend their menu system to add your own
options.  Otherwise, there have been several menu packages posted to
comp.sources.{unix,misc} recently.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com