[comp.unix.xenix] DAT tape backup

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (07/08/90)

Is SCO ever going to give us direct (non third party) support of huge tape
backup devices like DATs and 8 mm Exebyte drives which can store
1.3 to 4 gigabytes per tape??????

With the growth and availabilty of larger disk drives (600-1000 megs),
it is ESSENTIAL that we are able to back these up to one tape cartridge
eliminating the need for somone to nursemade backups (as required when
backing up large drives to 60, 150, or even 250 meg tapes).   What good
is a cron initiated backup at midnight if somone has to be there to change
tape cartridges?

Is anyone at SCO listening?  (I might add that AIX has support for 8mm NOW).

Mel Shear
Fleet Parts & Equipment
New Olreans, LA.  USA
!rex!fleet!mel

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (07/21/90)

In article <3@fleet.UUCP> mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) writes:
>Is SCO ever going to give us direct (non third party) support of huge tape
>backup devices like DATs and 8 mm Exebyte drives which can store
>1.3 to 4 gigabytes per tape??????

Yes. Our just-announced SCO Unix 3.2 v2 has support for 3 different
DAT drives and the Exabyte. I believe that the DAT drives are
from Archive, Mountain and Tecmar. We also support CD-ROM in
this release and have completely reworked the disk driver to
speed it up (we are no longer recommending 3:1 interleaving
with this release).

Anyone who wants more information can contact their SCO Authorized
Reseller, mail sco!info or look for the announcement on sosco.

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			  "The True Believers will...formulate

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (07/25/90)

In article <8222@scorn.sco.COM> I wrote:

>Yes. Our just-announced SCO Unix 3.2 v2 has support for 3 different
>DAT drives and the Exabyte. I believe that the DAT drives are
>from Archive, Mountain and Tecmar.

Some minor corrections: DAT drives supported are Archive, HP, Tecmar
and Wangtek. The Mountain 8mm drive is also supported.

--

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (07/27/90)

In article <8222@scorn.sco.COM> rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:

>In article <3@fleet.UUCP> mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) writes:
>>Is SCO ever going to give us direct (non third party) support of huge tape
>>backup devices like DATs and 8 mm Exebyte drives which can store
>>1.3 to 4 gigabytes per tape??????
>
>Yes. Our just-announced SCO Unix 3.2 v2 has support for 3 different
>DAT drives and the Exabyte. I believe that the DAT drives are
>from Archive, Mountain and Tecmar. We also support CD-ROM in
>this release and have completely reworked the disk driver to
>speed it up (we are no longer recommending 3:1 interleaving
>with this release).

Two things...

1)  Will this DAT support also be added to Xenix as well?

2)  Does Xenix 2.3.3GT also recommend a 3:1 interleave?
    If so then what happens when a disk is preformatted by a factory
    installer for 1:1 interleave (as on my HP Vectra 486's 330 meg drive)?

Fleet Parts & Equipment
Mel Shear
!rex!fleet!mel