[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix-Net, compiler and news reader problems

cch6t@madras.cs.Virginia.EDU (Christopher Cyrus Hapgood) (07/31/90)

I've got several problems running SCO XENIX 386, SCO XENIX-NET and
LanWorkPlace from Excelan on a 386 clone computer.  The version of
XENIX is 2.3.1 and the version of XENIX-NET is 1.2.0.  The version of
LWP is 3.7.  My problems are:

I didn't buy the development kit and now I can't compile all the nifty
programs I see mentioned in this newsgroup.  I managed to get a
compiled version of GCC, but I still lack the critical system
libraries.  Is there any way to get a working compiler/development
system up at little cost?

Second: I need a news reader program.  I've seen plenty of them on
uunet.uu.net's comp.sources.unix, but because of the abovementioned
problem, no compilee.  CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE BINARIES for any decent
public domain/free news reader?  I will gladly pay for the cost of a
telephone call to download, or I can use FTP.

Next problem: First, the NETBIOS server works fine, but the consumer
won't work at all with a DOS server (also running EXCELAN software)
despite claims in the manual that it does.  When I issue the net use
<name> //server/object <pwd>, I get a "Connection error encountered"
message. Going from a PC to the XENIX server works fine.

Last problem: XENIX NETBIOS data buffer size defaults to 1024 but
the manual update pages describe a procedure to increase them to 4096
(the default value on the PCs).  Unfortunately, when I increase the
size of the buffers with the aforementioned procedure, the PCs hang up
when talking to the XENIX server, but only when accessing "large"
(>64K, I believe) files.  I would really appreciate the greater
performance of the larger buffers.

Any help on these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Hapgood           work: (804) 974-2584  home: (804) 977-8345
                        cch6t@virginia.edu
                        virginia!smarine!cch0241
         -Chris Hapgood

alan@mq.UUCP (Alan H. Mintz) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.213729.29078@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> cch6t@madras.cs.Virginia.EDU (Christopher Cyrus Hapgood) writes:
>Second: I need a news reader program.  I've seen plenty of them on
>uunet.uu.net's comp.sources.unix, but because of the abovementioned
>problem, no compilee.  CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE BINARIES for any decent
>public domain/free news reader?  I will gladly pay for the cost of a
>telephone call to download, or I can use FTP.

SCO has available a SLS (Support Level Supplement) called xnx143 which contains
the appropriate XENIX-compiled binaries for "rn" and the general BNews 2.11
set. They are available by uucp or (I believe) you can have them sent to you.

<    Alan H. Mintz                     | It's just temporary...              >
<    Micro-Quick Systems, Inc.         |                                     >
<    Alta Loma, CA  91701              | Voice +1 714 980 1034               >
<    USA.Earth                         | FAX   +1 714 944 3995               >
<                                      | uucp: uunet!mq!alan                 >