[comp.unix.xenix] hardware question for Xenix/386

tran@peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) (07/31/90)

I haven't use Xenix/386 yet but going through these news groups about xenix,
unix.questions I saw a lot of problem posed, question asked about BIOS,
hard disk controller, video problem, etc...  I didn't pay much attention then.
But now, since I want to set up Xenix/386 on my PC, I have to find out about
these stuff.

My PC has not materialize yet because I know Xenix/386 will not run on just
any machine.  I appreciate if any of you can give me short answers on these
question:

   1. Xenix/386 work with which BIOS chip (Phoenix, Award, etc..)
   2. Xenix/386 work with which hard disk (MFM, RLL, ESDI, etc..)
   3. Xenix/386 work with which video     (mono, Hercule, CGA, EGA, VGA, etc..)

I know these questions have been answered before.  But you can never find them
when you need them.  To avoid redundant replies and also to benefit all who
have the same questions, please post.

Thank you.

                ___________
               / _________/_        Nha^n Tra^`n
              /_/________/ /        uucp:     ..!{uiucuxc,masscomp}!peora!tran
   Concurrent  /__________/         Internet: tran@peora.sdc.ccur.com
Computer Corporation                (407) 850-1040 ext 41

rich@watjo.uucp (Rich Waters) (08/01/90)

In <4285@peora.ccur.com> tran@peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:

>My PC has not materialize yet because I know Xenix/386 will not run on just
>any machine.  I appreciate if any of you can give me short answers on these
>question:

>   1. Xenix/386 work with which BIOS chip (Phoenix, Award, etc..)
>   2. Xenix/386 work with which hard disk (MFM, RLL, ESDI, etc..)
>   3. Xenix/386 work with which video     (mono, Hercule, CGA, EGA, VGA, etc..)

1. Xenix/386 will run on all Phoenix compatible bios's I have seen.  I
personally have run on machines with Phoenix,AMI,Award,nad DTK

2. Xenix/386 will run which the disks mentioned above.  I personally have used
it with ESDI and RLL.  The ESDI setup is a little bit involved, but it is well
documented.  There is also documentation for SCSI set-up, but I have not used
Xenix with a SCSI drive.

3. I have never had a problem running Xenix using Hercules, CGA, or EGA
(although the return from the ioctl to get the video type has changed in the
most recent version), but I am currently having problems with my VGA using
Xenix 2.3.2 (I think).  These problems did not occur before I upgraded my
system, but now I get vertical lines appearing after certain characters
(specifically 'n').  I am using the Orchid Pro-designer 16 bit VGA card.  I
haven't had a chance to investigate this problem so I can offer no help.

In article <4285@peora.ccur.com> tran@peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:

| any machine.  I appreciate if any of you can give me short answers on these
| question:
|
|    1. Xenix/386 work with which BIOS chip (Phoenix, Award, etc..)
  all of the above, AMI, etc. The BIOS is only used to boot, not to run.

|    2. Xenix/386 work with which hard disk (MFM, RLL, ESDI, etc..)
  all of the above. You need a special (GT) version of SCO stuff for
SCSI.

|    3. Xenix/386 work with which video     (mono, Hercule, CGA, EGA, VGA, etc..)
  All of the aboue, VGA recomended for X and CGI, all work 80x25.

  Short answers.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (08/06/90)

In article <1419@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <4285@peora.ccur.com> tran@peora.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:
>|    2. Xenix/386 work with which hard disk (MFM, RLL, ESDI, etc..)
>  all of the above. You need a special (GT) version of SCO stuff for SCSI.

True, but of no consequence.  SCO has dropped the ``AT'' version, and you
can only buy the ``GT'' version.  Unless you find a dealer with old stock...

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean