[comp.unix.xenix] Problems with Patch and C News

cat@tygra.ddmi.com (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) (08/07/90)

In article <PisHN3w162w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
}
}As I understand the 'build' script, it will install the setnewsids
}program *only* if you tell it that setuid(geteuid()) won't work on
}your system.  If you lie to build and say it works when it doesn't,
}then it won't get installed and relaynews will die when it tries to
}execute it.
}

That must have been it. While we're on the subject of C-News, do you
know if there is a way to enable/disable automatic rmgroups and
newgroups. I guess I'm too lazy to look through all the source code
and it didn't seem to be in the obvious places (NEWSBIN/ctl/rmgroup
and newgroup scripts).

I'm also getting problems with people running postnews (a Bourne Shell
Script) from csh. For some reason, csh doesn't see the "# !/bin/sh"
in the file and tries to execute the script itself, which fails with
a "variable syntax" error (Bourne Shell and csh use different variable
syntax). This seems to occur intermittantly in Xenix.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/08/90)

cat@tygra.ddmi.com (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) writes:
> know if there is a way to enable/disable automatic rmgroups and
> newgroups. I guess I'm too lazy to look through all the source code
> and it didn't seem to be in the obvious places (NEWSBIN/ctl/rmgroup
> and newgroup scripts).

The C News sources/binaries aren't on this machine, so I can't check.
It's probably something to do with the rmgroup and newgroup scripts,
but I'd (you'd) have to look around.

> I'm also getting problems with people running postnews (a Bourne Shell
> Script) from csh. For some reason, csh doesn't see the "# !/bin/sh"
> in the file and tries to execute the script itself, which fails with
> a "variable syntax" error (Bourne Shell and csh use different variable
> syntax). This seems to occur intermittantly in Xenix.

I don't think Xenix understands the "#!/bin/sh" syntax.  To be safe,
replace all "#!/bin/sh" occurances with ": use /bin/sh", which works
just fine.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.