[comp.unix.xenix] Monochrome and VGA multiscreen use at the same time

gritchie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Gary Ritchie) (08/06/90)

   I recently upgraded to a 386 with VGA and monochrome monitors. I
also upgraded to XENIX 386, 2.3.2.  My old setup was a 286 with
EGA and monochrome monitors.

   On the old system, the EGA monitor had virtual screens 1 - 6 and
the monochrome had screens 7 - 12.  This was set up during the
installation automatically.  Now, on the new system, I can't use
the monochrome.  All screens are assigned to the VGA.  I dug around
in the manuals and found under screen(hw) that the multiscreens
can be reassigned, but don't understand how to do it.

   What I'd like to do is assign screens 7 - 12 to the monochrome
monitor the way it was in the 286 version.  Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks,
  -gary

gritchie@polyslo.calpoly.edu

--
-Gary R Ritchie
 gritchie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (08/07/90)

In article <26bc5578.1f19@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> gritchie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Gary Ritchie) writes:
:   What I'd like to do is assign screens 7 - 12 to the monochrome
:monitor the way it was in the 286 version.  Does anyone have any
:suggestions?

Use "vidi mono" on the screens you wish to make mono.

Note that some VGA boards spill over into the address space
used by the mono board or disk controller roms.

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (08/07/90)

In article <26bc5578.1f19@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> gritchie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Gary Ritchie) writes:

>   What I'd like to do is assign screens 7 - 12 to the monochrome
>monitor the way it was in the 286 version.  Does anyone have any
>suggestions?

I use the following in a file called:

	/etc/rc.d/0/avidi

	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty01
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty02
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty03
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty04
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty05
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty06
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty07
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty08
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty11
	    /bin/vidi e80x43 < /dev/tty12

	    /bin/vidi mono < /dev/tty09
	    /bin/vidi mono < /dev/tty10

Note that too get so many 80x43 screens I had to change the screen memory up
to 128kb.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)

jay@gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) (08/09/90)

the following is my /etc/rc.d/8/userdef file, this does what you want

:
#	@(#) userdef.sh 1.1 88/05/03
#
#	Copyright (C) The Santa Cruz Operation, 1985.
#	This Module contains Proprietary Information of
#	The Santa Cruz Operation, Microsoft Corporation
#	and AT&T, and should be treated as Confidential.
#
#	/etc/rc.d/8/userdef - User definable commands executed after boot
#
vidi mono </dev/tty07 >/dev/tty07
vidi mono </dev/tty08 >/dev/tty08
vidi mono </dev/tty09 >/dev/tty09
vidi mono </dev/tty10 >/dev/tty10
vidi mono </dev/tty11 >/dev/tty11
vidi mono </dev/tty12 >/dev/tty12

Jay A. Snyder 					 "Let Me Up!  I've had enough"
wa3wbu!gdx!jay@uunet.uu.net
uunet!wa3wbu!gdx!jay