[comp.unix.xenix] gif viewer

pmartin@psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) (07/28/90)

I compiled the gif.c that was posted to the net a while back
but in the comments of the program it said I needed to set the variables
CGIPATH and CGIDISP.  I have cgi installed on my xenix/386 2.3.2
but I don't know what to set these values to.  If anyone has any
ideas could you let me know?  I have a vga and set CGIDISP to vga
but I don't know what CGIPATH is supposed to be, for that matter
I really don't know what CGIDISP is supposed to be.  I have RTFMed
till I'm blue in the face but I must be missing something.
Any help would be greatly appeciated.

--
+--------[ Paul Martin at P.S.M. Software Development ]--------+
| Smart: pmartin@psmsd.UUCP     | "Yes I am serious, and don't |

ron@mlfarm.uucp (Ronald Florence) (07/29/90)

pmartin@psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:

 > I compiled the gif.c that was posted to the net a while back
 > but in the comments of the program it said I needed to set the variables
 > CGIPATH and CGIDISP.  I have cgi installed on my xenix/386 2.3.2
 > but I don't know what to set these values to.  If anyone has any
 > ideas could you let me know?  I have a vga and set CGIDISP to vga
 > but I don't know what CGIPATH is supposed to be, for that matter
 > I really don't know what CGIDISP is supposed to be.  I have RTFMed
 > till I'm blue in the face but I must be missing something.

Try section 6 of the Release and Installation Notes in the CGI manual:
"Environment Variables."

The CGIPATH environment variable should point to the directory where
your cgi drivers reside, normally /usr/lib/cgi.  The CGIDISP
environment variable should point at the cgi driver you want to use,
which for the vga display could be "vgabw," "vga16" or "vga256".  For
other cgi programs, such as gnuplot 2.0, tek, or starcgi, you may want
to set other environment variables, like CGIPRNT, FONTS, or VERIFYFONT
as well.

--

Ronald Florence			{yale,uunet}!hsi!mlfarm!ron

vaxima@aragon.UUCP (Alexander Horn) (07/29/90)

pmartin@psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:

>I compiled the gif.c that was posted to the net a while back
>but in the comments of the program it said I needed to set the variables
>CGIPATH and CGIDISP.  I have cgi installed on my xenix/386 2.3.2
>but I don't know what to set these values to.  If anyone has any
>ideas could you let me know?
# CGIDISP="vga /dev/tty01"; CGIPATH="/usr/lib/cgi"; export CGIDISP CGIPATH
-Alex
--
Bang:     ..!mcsun!unido!gtc!aragon!vaxima     ##############         _ / \ _
Sendmail: vaxima%aragon@gtc.de                 Alexander Horn        \       /

vaxima@aragon.UUCP (Alexander Horn) (07/30/90)

In article <7203@aragon.UUCP>, vaxima@aragon.UUCP (Alexander Horn) writes:
> pmartin@psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:
>
> >I compiled the gif.c that was posted to the net a while back
> >but in the comments of the program it said I needed to set the variables
> >CGIPATH and CGIDISP.  I have cgi installed on my xenix/386 2.3.2
> >but I don't know what to set these values to.  If anyone has any
> >ideas could you let me know?
> # CGIDISP="vga /dev/tty01"; CGIPATH="/usr/lib/cgi"; export CGIDISP CGIPATH

Aeh, sorry:

CGIDISP="/usr/lib/cgi/ega" or CGIDISP="/usr/lib/cgi/vga" and
CGIPATH="/usr/lib/cgi"

Best regards,
-Alex
--

sanand@sp90.uucp (08/06/90)

> I compiled the gif.c that was posted to the net a while back
> but in the comments of the program it said I needed to set the variables
> CGIPATH and CGIDISP.  I have cgi installed on my xenix/386 2.3.2
> but I don't know what to set these values to.  If anyone has any
> ideas could you let me know?  I have a vga and set CGIDISP to vga
> but I don't know what CGIPATH is supposed to be, for that matter
> I really don't know what CGIDISP is supposed to be.  I have RTFMed
> till I'm blue in the face but I must be missing something.
> Any help would be greatly appeciated.
>

> --
> +--------[ Paul Martin at P.S.M. Software Development ]--------+
> | Smart: pmartin@psmsd.UUCP     | "Yes I am serious, and don't |
> | Dumb:  ...uccba!psmsd!pmartin |  call me Shirley!"           |
> +-------------------------------+------------------------------+

In my .login file I have:

setenv CGIDISP "vga16 `tty`"
setenv CGIPATH /usr/lib/cgi

One variable is the tty and type of tty you are on.
The other locates where you have installed the cgi libraries (from SCO).

pmartin@psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug6.025828.169@sp90.uucp>, sanand@sp90.uucp writes:
] In my original artical I wrote:
] ] I compiled the gif.c that was posted to the net a while back
] ] but in the comments of the program it said I needed to set the variables
] ] CGIPATH and CGIDISP.  I have cgi installed on my xenix/386 2.3.2
]
] In my .login file I have:
]
] setenv CGIDISP "vga16 `tty`"
] setenv CGIPATH /usr/lib/cgi
]
] One variable is the tty and type of tty you are on.
] The other locates where you have installed the cgi libraries (from SCO).

I don't have the vga driver in my cgi.  I am running xenix/386 2.3.2.
In my release notes it speaks of new vga support, but that appears to be
a device driver for /dev.  Is there a xnx sls that has the new drivers
for cgi in them?
I wasn't able to get the above to work with vga, even though I have a
vga system, but I did get it to run under ega.  Am I just missing something
really stupid or am I just missing something?

THanks in advance!
--
+--------[ Paul Martin at P.S.M. Software Development ]--------+
| Smart: pmartin@psmsd.UUCP     | "Yes I am serious, and don't |
| Dumb:  ...uccba!psmsd!pmartin |  call me Shirley!"           |

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (08/10/90)

I have a working GIF reader that does not use CGI, but goes directly
to the VGA screen. Any interest?
(It's based on the sun-reader MyGif, from comp.sources.misc/volume8)