[comp.unix.xenix] XENIX Installation problem

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/27/90)

    I am new to the XENIX world and am still trying to get it installed
on my 286 at home.  The problem is when I boot off of floppy and start
the installation procedure according to the instruction book, XENIX
changes my video mode, starts beeping and then locks up.  Any idea what
might be causing this?

    Thanks, Brady...
Brady Orand - University of Kansas Computer Center  Lawrence, Ks.  66045

ORAND@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Work:  (913) 864-0490
Home:  (913) 749-1341

jbayer@ispi.COM (Jonathan Bayer) (07/28/90)

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>    I am new to the XENIX world and am still trying to get it installed
>on my 286 at home.  The problem is when I boot off of floppy and start
>the installation procedure according to the instruction book, XENIX
>changes my video mode, starts beeping and then locks up.  Any idea what
>might be causing this?

A few questions are needed:

1.	What kind of computer?
2.	How much memory, and what is the overall system configuration?
3.	What kind of video card?  Is it a multiple mode card?

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

root@neon.UUCP (Thomas Ziemer) (08/04/90)

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> XENIX changes my video mode, starts beeping and then locks up.
> Any idea what might be causing this?

It's your VGA card...

Greetings ... thomas
--
(00)  N E O N  Research Caboose                    Computer Science Research

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson. MedNet, G|teborgs Universitet) (08/15/90)

In article <1268@neon.UUCP>, root@neon.UUCP (Thomas Ziemer) writes:
> orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>
>> XENIX changes my video mode, starts beeping and then locks up.
>> Any idea what might be causing this?
>
> It's your VGA card...

I've seen same problem with an original 64K IBM EGA-card. Works only with
the card configured to act as a low resolution card.