[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix installation failed at "L" test

tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) (08/16/90)

We have a 386/33 IBM Compatable that we are trying to install Xenix on.  We
put the N1 disk in, and press "return" at the "boot:" prompt, the devices
are displayed, and then we get as far as the L5 test in the boot process
until the system {reboots itself.

What is the L test?  Has anyone else had this problem?  We started out with
a new Genoa Super-VGA card, then swapped it with a straight IBM-EGA card,
and we have no network card, just an Archive QIC-02 tape drive, and a ESDI
380 meg hard drive, a 1.2, a 1.44 and that's it.

Thanks!
	Devon
	tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (08/16/90)

About these diagnostic routines, I've seen mention of A-S, there are probably
more.  How about a complete list of what these are?  Would help a lot here,
since we do a lot of setting up for our customers.

Advanced Thanks - simon

--
               Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
   simon@ms.uky.edu    simon@UKMA.BITNET   {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon

 Power is danger.  -- The Centurion, "Balance of Terror," stardate 1709.2.

bal@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Brent A. Leever) (08/17/90)

In article <15823@s.ms.uky.edu> simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
>About these diagnostic routines, I've seen mention of A-S, there are probably
>more.  How about a complete list of what these are?  Would help a lot here,

This info. would help me out as well.

My installation fails at the 'D2' test.  Does anybody happen to know
what this means ?  By failure, I mean I get the copyright screen with
the start of a hardware inventory  - it acknowledges the presence of a
fpu, and two floppies ( 1.44, 1.2 ) - then 'D2' is displayed and nothing
else happens.  I'm guessing we have a problem with my hard disk ?

I've got an EVEREX step 20 w/ a 154 MB Micropolis ESDI drive.  1249
cyls, 7 heads, 36 sect/track .    Also a WD8003, and  an everex floppy
tape, perhaps xenix install has a problem w/ the tape hw ?  Anyway, I have no
clues.  Thanks for your help.
--
Brent Leever <bal@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM> -or- <...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!bal>

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (08/17/90)

In article <15823@s.ms.uky.edu>, simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
> About these diagnostic routines, I've seen mention of A-S, there are probably
> more.  How about a complete list of what these are?  Would help a lot here,
> since we do a lot of setting up for our customers.

I have an old scrap of paper from SCO that *does not* say confidential
on it so here goes:

Installation Boot Letter Sequence:

A	Startup
B	memory sizing
C	momory sizing
D,E,F   dinit
G	allocation of memory for processes
H	"mem-" message
I,J     mmu craft
K,L     cinit
M 	binit
O	tasktime
P	"boot off floppy message"
Q,R	init
S,T,U	mfree
V	first call to new process
W,X	first call to scheduler
Y,Z 	return from main

This is a very old piece of paper dated 7-24-87 so it may
(probably isn't) not be applicable to current versions.
But it may help someone.

BTW, it says if bootup stops on A,B or C probably incompatible
machine or a defective memory card. If it stops at O, the cause
is the cpu flooded with interrupts, indicating bad peripherals.

I have no idea what the cinit and binit routines do. Maybe
someone else can comment.

Bart
--
uucp: holston!barton