[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix Compatibility

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (08/08/90)

I have just about decided to buy the machine shown in the Keywords:.
Yes, I WANT a 286.

From the spec sheet, the motherboard has 1Meg expandable to 8Meg.
Memory is page-mode SIMMS.  The machine uses an AMI BIOS and comes
with a 1.2M floppy, 1:1 controller, Fujitsu 101-keyboard, and two year
parts and labor.

I plan to fill in the memory myself and install a Paradise VGA+ 16
graphics card with a multisync monitor.  I also have a WD1006
controller I might swap for the stock controller.  I haven't
decided on a hard drive yet.

So the question is ... has anyone used, or is anyone using, this or
another DFI box?  Any problems running SCO Xenix 286??

I review this group frequently so please post your replies here.  The
information may help someone else.

Thanks!
--
Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com
Snail:       3M Health Information Systems

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (08/09/90)

In article <1922@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) writes:
:I have just about decided to buy the machine shown in the Keywords:.
:Yes, I WANT a 286.
:
Takes all kinds...  Some people are just masochists.

:From the spec sheet, the motherboard has 1Meg expandable to 8Meg.
:Memory is page-mode SIMMS.  The machine uses an AMI BIOS and comes
:with a 1.2M floppy, 1:1 controller, Fujitsu 101-keyboard, and two year
:parts and labor.
:
:I plan to fill in the memory myself and install a Paradise VGA+ 16
:graphics card with a multisync monitor.  I also have a WD1006
:controller I might swap for the stock controller.  I haven't
:decided on a hard drive yet.
:
I would stay away from the Paradise VGA+ 16 board.  I had a
problem that drove me crazy for weeks where I couldn't write
floppy disks reliably, and I finally tracked it down to the
16-bit Paradise VGA board.  I only found this after posting a
question to this news group, and someone from sco pointed out
that similar problems had occurred with the HP-vectra and 16-bit
VGA boards.

The 8-bit VGA works fine (and so do my floppy drives).

The above discussion probably doesn't apply to the 286 (I hadn't
noticed that this machine was a 286 when I started posting this
response), just when the operating system is running in protected
mode.  It was a big enough of a pain to me that someone else
might find it useful.

:So the question is ... has anyone used, or is anyone using, this or
:another DFI box?  Any problems running SCO Xenix 286??
:
:I review this group frequently so please post your replies here.  The
:information may help someone else.
:
:Thanks!
:--
:Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com
:Snail:       3M Health Information Systems
:             100 Barnes Road, Wallingford, CT 06492
:Bell :       (203) 949-6358

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

raj@darkside.com (Roger Lee) (08/19/90)

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
> :
> :So the question is ... has anyone used, or is anyone using, this or
> :another DFI box?  Any problems running SCO Xenix 286??
> :
> :I review this group frequently so please post your replies here.  The
> :information may help someone else.
> :
> :Thanks!
> :--
> :Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com
> :Snail:       3M Health Information Systems
> :             100 Barnes Road, Wallingford, CT 06492
> :Bell :       (203) 949-6358

Just to let you know re: the Paradise 16 bit VGA and 286 Xenix: I tried to
run SCO Xenix 286 with my multisync monitor, but all it gave me were
garbage chaircters, and it was impossible to load. The version I'm running
is 2.2.3, and works fine in mono (which is fine for the time being...)
Thus, you might want to steer clear of the Paradise if you're gunna run
this version. Rumor has it that they've fixed the bug in later verisons
but don't quote me on that.....