[comp.unix.xenix] HELP!

loyd@nth.UUCP (Loyd Blankenship) (01/24/89)

Ok, this is a general plea for someone with a minute to spare.  I have just
purchased SCO 286, and have a clone with a 40 meg and a 60 meg hard disk.
I am very interested in turning this into a public access box, as there isn't
one available in this area.  I also need to keep some DOS applications run-
ning.  If *anyone* who is doing something similar on a 286 and would be
willing to chat for awhile (my dime) about phone lines, modems, dos, and
other related issues, please e-mail me.  I'm sitting here in a pool of
manuals drowning.

Thanks in advance!

Loyd Blankenship   cs.utexas.edu!nth!loyd   (UUCP)

greyfox@agtoa.UUCP (Bruce Ide) (10/23/89)

I'm having serious difficulty getting SCO FoxBase+ to index. This is what
happens:

.use mainm
.index on dogname to dog
 file not found
.index on dogname to dog
 file is in use

The runaround if I have ever seen one. Dogname is part of the data base
structure, and a smaller version of the file will index perfectly. The
large version is 1.27 megabytes, and the small version isn't more than
two or three Kbytes. Ulimit allows for files up to one Gigabyte, so
that's not the problem. Also, when I restore the file and the old index
off of backup and reindex, it says "file not found". Same goes for
PACK ALL and PACK. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what the
problem may be? This is SCO XENIX V2.2.3 SYS V, foxbase version 1.0.3.
Reply to me using mail, unless everyone else on this discussion would be
keenly interested in the solution. Thanks.

              -Bruce   uunet!agtoa!greyfox

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (10/26/89)

In article <32@agtoa.UUCP>, greyfox@agtoa.UUCP (Bruce Ide) writes:
> I'm having serious difficulty getting SCO FoxBase+ to index. This is what
> happens:
>[description deleted ]
>  file is in use
>
> The runaround if I have ever seen one. Dogname is part of the data base
> structure, and a smaller version of the file will index perfectly. The
> large version is 1.27 megabytes, and the small version isn't more than
> two or three Kbytes. Ulimit allows for files up to one Gigabyte, so
> that's not the problem. Also, when I restore the file and the old index
> off of backup and reindex, it says "file not found". Same goes for
> PACK ALL and PACK. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what the
> problem may be? This is SCO XENIX V2.2.3 SYS V, foxbase version 1.0.3.
> Reply to me using mail, unless everyone else on this discussion would be
> keenly interested in the solution. Thanks.
>               -Bruce   uunet!agtoa!greyfox

I have shipped several systems with large files (multi-mega) under Foxbase
and Xenix, (V2.2.3) and found that usually the error is caused by file
protection.   If you don't have write permission in the directory, yu
can't index.  If the index is owned by someone else, and you don't have
write permission, you will get the "file in use" error or if you don't have
read permissions, it will get a "file not found".

Make sure that all indexes are set to the right permissions, see if they
are _rwxrwxrwx to insure that they don't have problems, or make sure that
all users are in the same group and set them _rwxrwxr__.  You will find most
of your problems will disappear.  In your code, right after you do an index,
call a "run chmod ug+rw indexname.ndx" and that will fix it...

I hope that this gets rid of your problem..

bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@mdi386 tbit+

shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) (10/26/89)

greyfox@agtoa.UUCP (Bruce Ide) writes:

>I'm having serious difficulty getting SCO FoxBase+ to index.
[...]
>.use mainm

Betcha this dbf has a memo field in it

>.index on dogname to dog
> file not found
>.index on dogname to dog
> file is in use
>... Same goes for
>PACK ALL and PACK. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what the
>problem may be? This is SCO XENIX V2.2.3 SYS V, foxbase version 1.0.3.
>Reply to me using mail, unless everyone else on this discussion would be
>keenly interested in the solution. Thanks.

I'm posting the reply because this problem stumped Fox also.  SCO couldn't
make heads or tails of it.  THe problem is in a temporary file made when
a database containing MEMO fields is reindexed.  I believe the file has
a .TBK extension.  If you try to reindex or pack a database with a memo
field, and the file database.tbk does not exist, FoxBase sometimes throws
up and starts giving false errors.

	I just made a db called 'try' on my SCO 386 2.3.1 system,
with 3 fields.  A and B are chars, C is a memo. Indexed on A.
A reindex with 0 records worked.  I added in a bunch of
records and they reindexed.  I did a 'delete all', then 'pack' and came
up with 'file does not exist'.  Unfortunately, this error also screws
up the open dbf tables, so you have to do 3 things before reindexing :

.!>try.tbk
.close all
.use try index try
.reindex

I just got a flyer from SCO saying they have a free update for FoxPlus
that fixes some other problems.  Wonder if they fixed this?

>              -Bruce   uunet!agtoa!greyfox

/--------------------+ 'The shortest distance +------------------\
|    Dave Shevett    |  between two puns is a | Labyrinth II BBS |
| shevett@labii.UUCP |  straight line...'     |  W. Trenton, NJ  |
\--------------------+       - Doc Webster    +------------------/

corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) (03/04/90)

I am trying to use CGI to do some graphics, and I have determined that
the document writer was either brain dead or a moron or both.  It is
of zero help zilch.  Can some one give me some kind of pointers on what
should work.  wrote a small program that I can not even get to link, though
it looks like it should.

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dr. Srodawa) (03/05/90)

In article <1333@polari.UUCP> corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
>I am trying to use CGI to do some graphics, and I have determined that
>the document writer was either brain dead or a moron or both.  It is
>of zero help zilch.  Can some one give me some kind of pointers on what
>should work.  wrote a small program that I can not even get to link, though
>it looks like it should.

The CGI distribution includes a sample program and make file.  I put
these up in a personal subdirectory and made the sample program and
ran it.  There are important environment variables you have to
establish.  I wrote my own programs by hacking them into the demo
program.  Among other things, the demo program sets up all kinds of
signals to allow it to reset the terminal to text mode.

Oh yes, learn from my mistakes and don't try to use a debugger on
a CGI program on the main console.  If you take a breakpoint while
in graphics mode you are history!  Rebooting is the easiest way
back at that point.

NEASE@MAINE.BITNET (08/21/90)

A client of mine has a mashed /dev/u filesystem.  I brought the machine up in s
ingle user mode, ran fsck several times to clean it up.  However, there seems t
o be a bizarre problem that is somehow related to a previous tar/tape backup at
tempt that failed.  If I just run fsck with no options, everything seems clean.
  If I run it as 'fsck -D' I get the following result:
     BAD DIR ENTRY I = 3004
     BLK 25144  I=3004  OWNER=root MODE=40775
     SIZE=2128 MTIME=Aug 20 21:57 1990
     DIR=/bcsop.old/xevents

Though /dev/u/bcsop.old/xevents is empty, the system is determined that there
is several files named ./bcsop.old/ev or some such, and it won't erase them.
The SCO manual entry for fsck says that the directory needs to be deleted,
except that I can't remove the directory since Xenix thinks it isn't empty.
I've never used fsdb, and the manual isn't terribly informative on how
to use it.  If anybody out there knows how I can fix this problem, I'd
appreciate hearing about it!!!   The machine is a 386 clone running
Xenix 2.3.2.

In advance, thanx for the help

     Reid M. Pinchback