[comp.unix.xenix] XENIX 2.3.2 include files...

etg@dhw68k.cts.com (Eric Bennett) (08/18/90)

I recently accquired the GCC C Compiler from another XENIX system and found
out (when I un-tared it) that it did not come with the include files needed
to run it. I realise that these files are system specific (i.e. you need the
UNIX include files to run it on a UNIX system and the XENIX include........)
but why do they have the compiler if you have to buy a C Development System
in order to get the include files in order to use GCC? If you have purchased
a C Compiler you obviously wouldn't need the GCC Compiler. But it appears,
unless I am mistaken, that you can only get the include files from SCO when
you purchase the Development System.

It makes no sense to me.

Eric Bennett

(If you can read this you aren't looking through the Hubble Space Telescope)

--
Eric Bennett
Internet: etg@dhw68k.cts.com      UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!etg

  The gcc compiler compiles gcc, not C. It is useful for compiling some
net programs which make heavy use of the "extensions" to the language.
The Xenix C compiler often won't compile some vaild code, and gcc is
useful there, too. In UNIX you have rcc (real cc) and can compile most
things with that.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug18.091631.19939@dhw68k.cts.com> etg@dhw68k.cts.com (Eric Bennett) writes:

>I recently accquired the GCC C Compiler from another XENIX system and found
>out (when I un-tared it) that it did not come with the include files needed
>to run it. I realise that these files are system specific (i.e. you need the
>UNIX include files to run it on a UNIX system and the XENIX include........)
>but why do they have the compiler if you have to buy a C Development System
>in order to get the include files in order to use GCC? If you have purchased
>a C Compiler you obviously wouldn't need the GCC Compiler. But it appears,
>unless I am mistaken, that you can only get the include files from SCO when
>you purchase the Development System.
>
>It makes no sense to me.

It actually makes a lot of sense, the GCC compiler has a lot more features
and is a fully ANSI C compiler in contrast to the stock pcc that most of
us have.  It certainly isn't GNU's responsibility to provide system specific
header files, actually what the GNU guys are doing is developing an entire
OS free of AT&T licensing and the GNU C compiler happens to be one of the
tools they have completed for that environment to be.  I suppose an
unscrupulous sort of person could just contact another XENIX site with the
SCO XENIX development system and get the header files from them, however.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

jtc@motcad.portal.com (J.T. Conklin) (08/20/90)

In article <1536@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>The gcc compiler compiles gcc, not C.

Just as the Microsoft compiler compiles "Microsoft C", and the pcc
derived compilers compile "PCC C".  I am unaware of any C compiler
which everyone will agree is the "One True C Compiler".

In fact, it could be argued that gcc will eclipse pcc as the de facto
standard C compiler as vendors abandon pcc due to poor performance, etc.

>It is useful for compiling some
>net programs which make heavy use of the "extensions" to the language.

I haven't seen any "net programs" that really use the gcc extensions.
The only extension I use myself is the function inlining directive, but
I always disable it with a:

	#ifndef __GNUC__
	#define inline
	#endif

if I'm not compiling with gcc.

>The Xenix C compiler often won't compile some vaild code, and gcc is
>useful there, too. In UNIX you have rcc (real cc) and can compile most
>things with that.

I use gcc on SCO Xenix/UNIX for the following reasons:

	* It generates correct code.

	* It understands ANSI C function prototypes.

Niether compiler from SCO meets both criteria.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	UniFax Communications, Inc.

		CADnet Inc, San Ramon California
		jtc@motcad.portal.com, ...!portal!motcad!jtc

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (08/22/90)

etg@dhw68k.cts.com (Eric Bennett) writes:

>I recently accquired the GCC C Compiler from another XENIX system and found
>out (when I un-tared it) that it did not come with the include files needed
> [...]
>It makes no sense to me.

Well, Eric recognized that the headers must be specific to the version of
the O/S.  So the question would seem to be not "Why doesn't GCC include
the header files for all versions of *NIX?", but "Is there any way to get
the O/S specific header files without buying the whole development system
for that O/S (and is there any rationale for the vendors to do so)?"

That is, does it make sense for the vendors to acknowledge that their
compiler(s) and linker(s) might not be desirable and to therefore separate
the program from the auxiliary files, right?  Why not unbundle the header
files (and libraries?) from the compiler?  I suspect the answer is that
you'd end up PAYING the same thing, since the only difference is whether
they include a few executables or not.  What advantage is there for the
vendor to go to the work of producing two OVERLAPPING packages?

So I guess I think that Eric (and others) should just bite the bullet, buy
the development system, and then delete any files they don't want.  I think
the same argument applies to the questions about the on-line man pages,
since you do need the utilities to process the files, right?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :