[comp.unix.xenix] 1) Mulitscreen switching 2) event driver, 3) Kernel hacking

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (08/21/90)

1) How do i switch console multiscreen from a program?

   If you wonder why, it is that i put the keyboard into "RAW" (scancode)
   mode, and then the console multiscreen keys don't work any more.

2) Has anyone gotten the xenix event driver to work with a mouse?

   Problem: It works for me, but in 9 cases of of 10, it gives
   "illegal value error in ev_open". It is very troublesome to get the
   error away. Not connecting the mouse, it fails much more seldom,
   but still does sometimes.
   I works best on a Specialix multi-port serial card. On /dev/tty1a
   it works the first time. The second time, it first gives the error,
   but if I insist, it hangs instead, and only a reboot helps.

   Due to lack of responses to my previous query about the problem, I
   have to "hack it away" from the kernel myself.
   So question 3 is:

3) Is there something like a "kernel debugger" for xenix.
   Then it would be so easy just to step through the failing routine,
   and figure out what is wrong.

alan@mq.UUCP (Alan H. Mintz) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug21.080230.607@bbt.se>, pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:
> 1) How do i switch console multiscreen from a program?
>
>    If you wonder why, it is that i put the keyboard into "RAW" (scancode)
>    mode, and then the console multiscreen keys don't work any more.

Not an answer, but some empirical evidence. It seems to be possible to
cause the console to switch multiscreens by "cat"ing (accidentally) an
executable file while logged in on the console. It would seem that the
binary may have contained an escape sequence that caused the switch ?
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >

paul@tetrauk.UUCP (Paul Ashton) (08/23/90)

In article <48@mq.UUCP> alan@mq.UUCP (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>In article <1990Aug21.080230.607@bbt.se>, pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:
>> 1) How do i switch console multiscreen from a program?
>executable file while logged in on the console. It would seem that the
>binary may have contained an escape sequence that caused the switch ?

From SCREEN(HW):-

ESC [ Pn z
Where Pn is equal to the number of the screen to switch to.

So for example "^[[2z" will switch to tty03 (providing enough multiscreens
are configured). This sequence however can be sent to *any* console multiscreen
even inactive ones and will perform the switch. If you log into any multiscreen
you now have the power to affect anyone else later using the console, if you
so desire...
--
Paul