[comp.unix.xenix] &^$^%$#$%R&* SCO MAIL SYSTEM!!!

cat@tygra.UUCP (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) (08/22/90)

In article <28694@netnews.upenn.edu> kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
}
} Whelp, I tried...
}
}--
}From tygra!tygra_mailer_daemon@uunet.UU.NET Tue Aug 21 13:07:48 1990
}Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 13:07:44 -0400
}From: tygra!tygra_mailer_daemon@uunet.uu.net
}To: uunet!scotty.dccs.upenn.edu!kehoe@uunet.UU.NET
}Subject: mail problem
}
}Trouble sending mail at `tygra',  Tue Aug 21 09:33:29 1990
}
}============ Transcript follows ============
}  tygra.ddmi.com!jpp
}0 alias errors
}bad system name: tygra.d
}uux failed ( 11 )
}..mail.local: uux execution error
}Can't send to: tygra.ddmi.com!jpp
}1 delivery errors
}1 total errors
}
}---

OK, sorry about that - everyone please STOP sending replies!!!! The problem
lies with UUNET not peeling off the "tygra.ddmi.com" before it sends the
message to tygra. I tried to get the UUNET postmaster to fix it but he
doesn't seem to be able to do it. Problem is that the brain-dead mailer
that comes with SCO Xenix 2.3.2 (what mailer??) has no way of specifying:

 "If you see tygra.ddmi.com!user or tygra!user, then that just means
  the local user "user""

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/23/90)

In article <366@tygra.UUCP> jpp@ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:
>  Problem is that the brain-dead mailer
> that comes with SCO Xenix 2.3.2 (what mailer??) has no way of specifying:
>
>  "If you see tygra.ddmi.com!user or tygra!user, then that just means
>   the local user "user""

So get a new mailer -- Mush 7.1.2 works perfectly with all versions
of xenix as well as SCO unix and provides the functionality you mention
above (plus oodles of other useful things).
--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com

piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) (08/23/90)

	The problem lies with UUNET not peeling off the "tygra.ddmi.com"
	before it sends the message to tygra. I tried to get the UUNET
	postmaster to fix it but he doesn't seem to be able to do it.
Or not be willing to do it. If I were UUNET's postmaster
I would refuse to apply a "fix" like that. If your mailer
turns out domain addresses it should be able to properly
deal with them; when using uucp as the "carrier" it should
specifically be able to understand that tygra.ddmi.com!user
denotes a local user.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam	(piet@cwi.nl)

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (08/23/90)

According to jpp@ddmi.com (John Palmer):
>Problem is that the brain-dead mailer that comes with SCO Xenix 2.3.2
>(what mailer??) has no way of specifying:
>
> "If you see tygra.ddmi.com!user or tygra!user, then that just means
>  the local user "user""

You should get Smail 2.5 or Smail 3.1, either of which can be
installed under SCO Xenix to provide the smarts you want, and more.

Get Smail 3.1 from uunet.uu.net as ~/mail/smail3.1.19.Z.  Get Smail
2.5 from comp.sources.unix archives everywhere, and get Xenix patches
for Smail 2.5 from Chip Rosenthal <chip@chinacat.lonestar.org> or from
me (addresses below).
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (08/24/90)

From article <366@tygra.UUCP>, by cat@tygra.UUCP (CAT-TALK Maint. Account):
> OK, sorry about that - everyone please STOP sending replies!!!! The problem
> lies with UUNET not peeling off the "tygra.ddmi.com" before it sends the
> message to tygra. I tried to get the UUNET postmaster to fix it but he
> doesn't seem to be able to do it. Problem is that the brain-dead mailer
> that comes with SCO Xenix 2.3.2 (what mailer??) has no way of specifying:

You're trying to blame uunet for an administrative problem local to
your host, something over which uunet has, presumably, no control.  uunet
shouldn't be hacking your mail addresses for you, anyway; you should.
Whether you like the SCO mailer or not (or perhaps the issue is whether
you understand it or not), uunet isn't the source of the problem.  Either
the mailer on tygra is, or its documentation (...or you are, possibly, which
is no slur on you.  Mailers aren't generally noted for wonderful docs when
it comes to configuring them...but people that run them *are* responsible
to look through what's there)

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

cat@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (08/24/90)

In article <2975@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
}You're trying to blame uunet for an administrative problem local to
}your host, something over which uunet has, presumably, no control.  uunet
}shouldn't be hacking your mail addresses for you, anyway; you should.
}Whether you like the SCO mailer or not (or perhaps the issue is whether
}you understand it or not), uunet isn't the source of the problem.  Either
}the mailer on tygra is, or its documentation (...or you are, possibly, which
}is no slur on you.  Mailers aren't generally noted for wonderful docs when
}it comes to configuring them...but people that run them *are* responsible
}to look through what's there)

Yes, I'm finding that out. The problem is that SCO Xenix is shipped without
a mailer!! Only what is neccessary to handle local mail, uucp mail and
micnet (does anyone use micnet at all??) mail. Everything is basically
hard-wired. I was advised to get Smail or ELM. Are these PD or commercial
and where can I get a version (archive site, etc) for SCO Xenix 2.3.2??

Thanks in advance and sorry for the complaint.
John Palmer
jpp@ddmi.com
    ^
    |----- (This is the one thing that works!!)

In article <366@tygra.UUCP> jpp@ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:

[ His mail system barfs on its own name... ]

You could do what we did at Ferranti before I managed to get smail up on
our ancient Xenix System III/286 boxes. The following script approximates
it. Test it before giving it live data, this is purely off the top of my
head:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/bin
mv rmail rmail.real
cat > rmail << \!
#!/bin/sh
exec rmail.real `echo $* | sed 's/ddmi[^!]*!//g'`
!
chmod +x rmail
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'