[comp.unix.xenix] 2 hardisks with different controllers/interfaces allowed to coexist?

erik@echocen.UUCP (Erik Ch. Ohrnberger) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug22.061223.15564@fiver> palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:

> Ahh, somebody mentioned the magic word "secondary" controller. Has anyone
>ever tested this setup. Say with the second disk controller on interupt 15?
>ISC? ESIX? or SCO UNIX?

Yes, I have.  The ISC HPDD will support a secondary AT controller, given
	1) secondary I/O addresses,
	2) if it has a floppy controller, it must be disabled, and
	3) [the biggie] a secondary interrupt (usually 15).
The reason 2 is of concern is that very few controllers offer it.  The only
ones I've seen to date are the Adaptec 232x ESDI and 237x RLL.  I have used
a WD-1007 (Compaq flavor) with a 300 MB ESDI drive as primary and an Adaptec
2320 with some other flavor ESDI drive on it.  Works fine, BUT... when you
get both drives going at the same time (the AT controller is PIO, remember)
the CPU starts to get swamped handling interrupts and moving data to/from the
controllers.  I found my max (raw, large-buffers) transfer rate on either
drive alone was around 850 KB/sec and that both together topped out at an
aggregate of about 1.3 MB/sec.  This is on a 20 MHz Compaq, faster CPU would
help with the interrupt overhead, but probably not with the 16-bit string
moves to/from the controllers.

The HPDD will also support a SCSI adapter as a secondary controller (the
machine I'm writing this on has 1.4 GB of Maxtor 8380s hanging off an Adaptec
1542B in addition to the ESDI primary).  For pure performance, having the
first-party DMA of the 1542 off-loads BUNCHES of overhead from the CPU.  I
just wish I could run mine faster than 5.7 MB/sec burst rate, sniff sniff...
DLP

I'm looking to allow a 40 MB ST-251-1 (MFM) disk/HDFD controller to share
disk activities with a ST4144-R (RLL) disk/HD controller.  The way I'd like
to set it up is to have the ST-251-1 be split as a 33 MB DOS volume, and a
7 MB Xenix bootstrap functions (as minimal as possible).  When the Xenix
boots, it would mount the RLL disk and complete it's compliment of disk
and file systems.  When running DOS, it would only have to worry about the
33 MB DOS partician on the ST-251-1.  fdisk in the DOS and Xenix worlds
should be allowed to switch active partitians, and just doing a re-boot,
would allow you to switch between Xenix and DOS.

Would this sort of setup apply to my configuration?  Is it supported
by other Unix systems?  Does it void any warentees?

	If you have more information about accomplishing this setup, or a
pointer to obtain this information in printed form with diagrams, please let
me know, as I'm terrible interested.

		Thanks, Erik.
--
Erik Ohrnberger             Work: sharkey!edsews!edstip!ohrnb
2620 Woodchase Court        Home: sharkey!eds.com!echocen!erik