[comp.unix.xenix] HELP: Unknown CPIO errors and problems

bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (08/22/90)

I  sure  hope  someone more familiar with cpio than I am reads  this  and
takes  pity on me!  After a long search for some RM/Cobol-85 diskettes to
recover a file, I can't read them.

They  were written in cpio format (why I don't know) and the  description
on  the label says to use "cpio -icdv </dev/fd096ds15".  We get an  error
that  says  "Out  of  phase -- get help"  and  sometimes  "Cannot  create
directory <>  (errno 2)".

When  doing  this  I  was root in the /tmp directory, so I  can't  see  a
permission problem.  The output of "dtype /dev/fd096ds15" says it is cpio
written  with  the  -c  option.   Doing  a  "dd"  on  the  diskette  will
successfully produce a file on the hard disk...question is - what do I do
with it?

Since  we don't use cpio very often (usually only with supplier diskettes
that  require  it)  we are at a loss.  The manual page for  cpio  doesn't
mention  this error.

If  anyone  has  any  suggestions about why I am  unable  to  cpio  these
diskettes  or how to get one particular file off of one of them, I  would
be very appreciative.  Thanks.
--
Bill Irwin    -   TWG The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     UNIX Systems

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (08/22/90)

In article <245@twg.wimsey.bc.ca>, bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
> I  sure  hope  someone more familiar with cpio than I am reads  this  and
> takes  pity on me!  After a long search for some RM/Cobol-85 diskettes to
> recover a file, I can't read them.
>
> They  were written in cpio format (why I don't know) and the  description
> on  the label says to use "cpio -icdv </dev/fd096ds15".  We get an  error
> that  says  "Out  of  phase -- get help"  and  sometimes  "Cannot  create
> directory <>  (errno 2)".

Try this:

1. Log in as root
2. from root directory execute "mkdir rmcobol"
3. execute "cd rmcobol"
4. Load developement diskette
5. execute "cpio -icdv < /dev/fd096ds15"

I think your error may have been failure to make the rmcobol directory
first, as errno 2 is directory spec'd in pathname doesn't exist.

--
uucp: holston!barton

alan@ferus.lonestar.org (Alan Caldera) (08/24/90)

In article <245@twg.wimsey.bc.ca>, bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
> I  sure  hope  someone more familiar with cpio than I am reads  this  and
> takes  pity on me!  After a long search for some RM/Cobol-85 diskettes to
> recover a file, I can't read them.
>
> They  were written in cpio format (why I don't know) and the  description
> on  the label says to use "cpio -icdv </dev/fd096ds15".  We get an  error
> that  says  "Out  of  phase -- get help"  and  sometimes  "Cannot  create
> directory <>  (errno 2)".

 Its very possible that one of two things have occurred here:
     1)  its trashed
     2)  The command that was written on the label was wrong. Try this:

            cpio -iBcdv < /dev/rfd096ds15

  The backup could have been made to the raw device instead of the blocked
  one.

Hope this helps.
Alan Caldera (...texsun!letni!rwsys!ferus!alan)
alan@ferus.lonestar.org
alan@merch.TANDY.COM (forwarded)

#include <cute.disclaimer>
   None of the opinions expressed above represent those of my employer
and if they do, it is pure coincidence.

bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (08/26/90)

In <5756@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:

>In article <245@twg.wimsey.bc.ca>, bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>> I  sure  hope  someone more familiar with cpio than I am reads  this  and
>> takes  pity on me!  After a long search for some RM/Cobol-85 diskettes to
>> recover a file, I can't read them.
>>
>> They  were written in cpio format (why I don't know) and the  description
>> on  the label says to use "cpio -icdv </dev/fd096ds15".  We get an  error
>> that  says  "Out  of  phase -- get help"  and  sometimes  "Cannot  create
>> directory <>  (errno 2)".
>>
>Try this:

>1. Log in as root
>2. from root directory execute "mkdir rmcobol"
>3. execute "cd rmcobol"
>4. Load developement diskette
>5. execute "cpio -icdv < /dev/fd096ds15"

>I think your error may have been failure to make the rmcobol directory
>first, as errno 2 is directory spec'd in pathname doesn't exist.

I  have  tried  the cpio retrieval in a directory that  has  a  "rmcobol"
directory  beneith it, but same error message.  Anyway, I thought the "d"
flag was supposed to tell cpio to make directories as needed?

Since  you  know about the rmcobol directory, can I correctly assume  you
have  RM/Cobol  on your system?  If you have RM/Cobol-85 2.02 and have  a
file  called "runtime.o" in your rmcobol directory, and would be  willing
to  send it to me, send me mail to arrange this.  The reason I am  asking
for  help with the cpio problem is that I need this one file in order  to
recompile the runcobol.

Hope my guess is right.
--
bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca     (604) 431-4329 (fax)   |     Integration