[comp.unix.xenix] FAX for Xenix

bmarathe@megatest.UUCP (Bharat Marathe) (01/10/90)

UNIFAX 100 and UNIFAX 150

   This  product  makes an ordinary 2400 bps modem obsolete!  It gives
you the 2400 bps modem AND an ability to send a fax to any  Group  III
fax  machine in the world.  All this for the price of an ordinary 2400
bps modem.
   You first create a  text  file  using  any  editor.  Then  use  our
menu-driven  program to  specify when and where you want it sent. That
is all to it.  You can even send the same  fax  to  a  whole  list  of
recipients and send it at night when the phone rates are low. A simple
command line interface is also provided for easy programmability.
   UNIFAX 100  is  an  IBM  PC  XT/AT  compatible  internal  card  and
associated software.  UNIFAX 150 is a similar unit  but in an external
standalone box. Both are currently available only for Xenix but can be
ported easily  to  any  Unix system.  The 2400 bps modem is completely
Hayes compatible so you can use it  with  any  communications  program
including UUCP. The  fax  is sent at 4800 bps.
   All users on the system share  the  single  modem  making  it  very
economical. The UNIFAX products cannot receive a fax at this time.
   Single  quantity  price is $399 for the UNIFAX 100 and $499 for the
UNIFAX 150. Special  introductory  offer  for  orders  placed before 1
February 1990  is $299 for the UNIFAX 100 and $399 for the UNIFAX 150.
Dealer and distributor enquiries are  welcome.  Call  (408)972-0393 or
fax  (408)253-6773 for more  information.  Mailing address:  WORLDCOM,
18754 Cabernet  Drive, Saratoga, CA 95070, USA.

Please do not respond to the posting address.

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (01/10/90)

In article <11785@guru.megatest.UUCP>, bmarathe@megatest.UUCP (Bharat Marathe)
writes:
>    You first create a  text  file  using  any  editor.  Then  use  our
> menu-driven  program to  specify when and where you want it sent. That
> is all to it.

Sounds like every other PC fax modem.  Something that would be nice is a
standalone FAX modem that would handle either a text stream or an encoded
image, that could be used from anything with a serial port.  Something like:

	ATDTxxx-xxx-xxxx
	CONNECT FAX Gn
	<either bitmap or straight ASCII with formfeeds--autodiscrimination
	 would be a win>
	DISCONNECTED

and the same for incoming calls (perhaps without the ASCII version).

I guess I'll keep on dreaming...

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (01/10/90)

In article <11785@guru.megatest.UUCP>, bmarathe@megatest.UUCP
     (Bharat Marathe) writes:

  [Advertising hype deleted here]

>    UNIFAX 100  is  an  IBM  PC  XT/AT  compatible  internal  card  and
> associated software.  UNIFAX 150 is a similar unit  but in an external
> standalone box. Both are currently available only for Xenix but can be
> ported easily  to  any  Unix system.
  ^---------------------------------^
Implying that source is supplied for the software? That certainly makes
the product more interesting.

However, the following announced deficiency removes most of the interest
in the product:

> The UNIFAX products cannot receive a fax at this time.

     [Pricing and address info deleted]

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

dwexler@uxrd15.UUCP (Dan Wexler) (01/10/90)

In folloup to:

In article <2700@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
>In article <11785@guru.megatest.UUCP>, bmarathe@megatest.UUCP
>     (Bharat Marathe) writes:
>
>> The UNIFAX products cannot receive a fax at this time.
>However, the following announced deficiency removes most of the interest
>in the product:

There is a company selling 9600 Send AND Receive fax boards for $195.00.
They are come with DOS software to do the expected stuff.

They also have a combination 2400 baud modem + 9600 FAX with Send AND
Receive for $299.00.  This also comes with DOS software to do all the
expercted functions.

The company is:  Genesis Computer Corp.  They can be reached at 718/693-8301

They do not have access to the net.

Daniel Wexler
201/457-2772
#include <standard disclaimers>

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (01/11/90)

->UNIFAX 100 and UNIFAX 150
->
->   This  product  makes an ordinary 2400 bps modem obsolete!  It gives
->you the 2400 bps modem AND an ability to send a fax to any  Group  III
->fax  machine in the world.  All this for the price of an ordinary 2400
->bps modem.
->   You first create a  text  file  using  any  editor.  Then  use  our

Yeah. Great.  However, the letters I send out are done with Wordperfect
5.0 and contain at least 3 fonts and a graphics logo.  How can this help
me.  Will it scan final form output for some standard printer, such as a
HP Ljet?  (Probably not)

->   Single  quantity  price is $399 for the UNIFAX 100 and $499 for the
->UNIFAX 150. Special  introductory  offer  for  orders  placed before 1

Great.  For another $150 I can buy a standalone fax machine and be able
to send anything.  Including stuff I don't have machine readable for.

->Please do not respond to the posting address.
->

Coward!  Don't post it if you aren't going to deal with responses.

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (01/11/90)

    (Bharat Marathe) writes:

> UNIFAX 100 and UNIFAX 150
>
>    This  product  makes an ordinary 2400 bps modem obsolete!  It gives
> you the 2400 bps modem AND an ability to send a fax to any  Group  III
> fax  machine in the world.

It is interesting to compare this with an ad I just received in the mail
(in a Byte deck) for the

    SEND FAX MODEM from PCA Corp.
                        Tustin CA
                        1 (714) 730-1121

My only connection with this company is that I read their ad.

>   You first create a  text  file  using  any  editor.  Then  use  our
Note that this was a commercial                                     ^-^
> menu-driven  program to  specify when and where you want it sent. That
> is all to it.  You can even send the same  fax  to  a  whole  list  of
> recipients and send it at night when the phone rates are low.

The Send Fax claims the same capabilities.

>    UNIFAX 100  is  an  IBM  PC  XT/AT  compatible  internal  card  and
> associated software.  UNIFAX 150 is a similar unit  but in an external
> standalone box.

> The  fax  is sent at 4800 bps.

The Send Fax claims to send at 9600 and to operate as an ordinary modem
at 2400 and 4800 bps. It includes software named FAXOFT (anyone know
about this?) It is an internal board modem for XT/AT/386.

>    Single  quantity  price is $399 for the UNIFAX 100 and $499 for the
> UNIFAX 150. Special  introductory  offer  for  orders  placed before 1
> February 1990  is $299 for the UNIFAX 100 and $399 for the UNIFAX 150.

The flyer  says the Send Fax "list Price" is $399  but as a
"promo special" it is offered at $129 ($119 each if you get two).
MNP software is an option.

So with the Unifax you get to pay an extra $170 for a slower device,
but it does have a Xenix driver and I suspect there is only a DOS driver
for the Send Fax.

In article <2705@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) writes:

| So with the Unifax you get to pay an extra $170 for a slower device,
| but it does have a Xenix driver and I suspect there is only a DOS driver
| for the Send Fax.

  That's a nice thing to have if you run a Xenix system ;-) I thought I
saw a fax modem which did all that good stuff and was available for
Xenix, but I can't put my finger on the ad.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (01/12/90)

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

>In article <11785@guru.megatest.UUCP>, bmarathe@megatest.UUCP (Bharat Marathe)
>writes:
>>    You first create a  text  file  using  any  editor.  Then  use  our
>> menu-driven  program to  specify when and where you want it sent. That
>> is all to it.

>Sounds like every other PC fax modem.  Something that would be nice is a
>standalone FAX modem that would handle either a text stream or an encoded
>image, that could be used from anything with a serial port.  Something like:

>	ATDTxxx-xxx-xxxx
>	CONNECT FAX Gn
>	<either bitmap or straight ASCII with formfeeds--autodiscrimination
>	 would be a win>
>	DISCONNECTED

>and the same for incoming calls (perhaps without the ASCII version).

	See MIPS Magazine, Vol 1, Number 12 (December 1989), pp79 for a review
of the TEFAX RA-2100 Fax machine.
	[First sentence of article ...] The TEFAX RA-2100 is a complete
stand-alone facsimile machine with an RS-232 port that lets it talk to a
computer.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (01/14/90)

In article <1990Jan11.182433.6409@alzabo.uucp> tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) writes:
>amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>
>>In article <11785@guru.megatest.UUCP>, bmarathe@megatest.UUCP (Bharat Marathe)
>>writes:
>>>    You first create a  text  file  using  any  editor.  Then  use  our
>>> menu-driven  program to  specify when and where you want it sent. That
>>> is all to it.
>
>>Sounds like every other PC fax modem.  Something that would be nice is a
>>standalone FAX modem that would handle either a text stream or an encoded
>>image, that could be used from anything with a serial port.  Something like:
>
>>	ATDTxxx-xxx-xxxx
>>	CONNECT FAX Gn
>>	<either bitmap or straight ASCII with formfeeds--autodiscrimination
>>	 would be a win>
>>	DISCONNECTED

The EIA is sponsoring various committee's to extend V.29 and facsimile. One
of this is establishing a standard for Asynchronous Facsimile Modems. It
will use an extended AT command set to allow you to communicate with it and
place it in the various modes required to support fax transmission and
reception.

There are three planned service levels. The first simply provides you with a
bare bones modem. You must do all of the work yourself in terms of setting
up the call, exchanging information with the remote fax machine,
transmitting or receiving the data etc. The second level will do the call
setup for you and manage the connection with the remote machine so you do
not have to. The third level may include facilities for doing things like
conversion of ascii text to G3 data on the fly.

If all goes well you should see compliant modems appearing by this summer.
There are several manufacturers who have modems which will just need firmware
changes.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

ggvvgg@mixcom.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (08/25/90)

I've recently spent some time searching for information on FAX for Xenix.
There are several companies that advertise a product, but so far only
one has bothered to send me any literature.

The question then is:  Does FAX for SCO Xenix really exist?  Does anyone
have information on products and/or companies doing anything in this area?

e-mail would be fine, unless you think the people here are also curious.

DF

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (08/27/90)

In article <248@mixcom.UUCP> ggvvgg@mixcom.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>I've recently spent some time searching for information on FAX for Xenix.
>There are several companies that advertise a product, but so far only
>one has bothered to send me any literature.
>The question then is:  Does FAX for SCO Xenix really exist?  Does anyone
>have information on products and/or companies doing anything in this area?

We have been researching for some time now as well.
We are currently testing inhouse the Tru-Fax product which
uses an external Everex Fax Modem.
Pretty slick, even comes with scripts for most functions.
Should has some conclusive info in about 1-2 weeks.