[comp.unix.xenix] Process inactivity timeout program?

jem@mhinfo.UUCP ( MHIS) (08/22/90)

I am looking for a program that would logout any user processes
based upon some predefined time limit of inactivity.  Has anyone
seen such a beast?  I am looking for a version to run under Xenix.

John E. McCormack
Data Processing Consultant
Mile High Information Services, Inc
Denver, Colorado
uunet!mhinfo!jem

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dr. Srodawa) (08/23/90)

In article <36@mhinfo.UUCP> jem@mhinfo.UUCP ( MHIS) writes:
>I am looking for a program that would logout any user processes
>based upon some predefined time limit of inactivity.  Has anyone
>seen such a beast?  I am looking for a version to run under Xenix.

Xenix '386 2.3.2 comes with such a utility.  I used it for a while and
then turned it off.  We also had one on a BSD4.3 system, then removed
it.  The problem is, these things don't seem to be sophisticated
enough to recognize a task which is busy computing with no terminal
activity.  I set mine off running a big number cruncher and went to
lunch.  After 30 minutes, so did my terminal session.  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (08/28/90)

jem@mhinfo.UUCP ( MHIS) writes:

>I am looking for a program that would logout any user processes
>based upon some predefined time limit of inactivity.  Has anyone
>seen such a beast?  I am looking for a version to run under Xenix.

	We've used two approaches to date: the first (used years ago)
focused on modification times associated with the terminal device, and
noted those remaining unchanged between two snapshots. The second
utilizes `who -u`'s idle field and requires only a single examination.

	Finally, note that some shells (like Korn Shell) include timeout
provisions, though they seem only to recognize idle from shell prompt.
(Someone running vi, for example, will not be seen as "idle".)