[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix and Trailblazers!

micor (Michel B. Cormier (SYSOP)) (08/27/90)

Hi world:

   As anyone been able to setup xenix with a TrailBlazer (actually a
telebit T2500) such that the getty always runs at 19200bauds and the
modem accepts calls at any speed???   I've been trying to do this, but
was unsuccessful.
   If anyone knows the solution (re: a copy of your telebit setup and
of your gettydefs entry!), could you send it to me????

Please email any response to:

...!watmath.waterloo.edu!isishq!micor!michel

(the path in the header is probably wrong!)
as I do not currently receive this newsgroup on my machine.

Thanks
--
Michel B. Cormier              | uucp: watmath.waterloo.edu!isishq!micor!michel
MiCor Computing Services       |

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (08/29/90)

mcormier@isishq!micor (Michel B. Cormier (SYSOP)) writes:

>   As anyone been able to setup xenix with a TrailBlazer (actually a
>telebit T2500) such that the getty always runs at 19200bauds and the
>modem accepts calls at any speed???   I've been trying to do this, but
>was unsuccessful.

	There are a number of viable approaches, but it could be the SPEED
being attempted that's the problem. Some boxes/ports simply can't run
reliably at that speed, whereas they could handle 9600 without problem.
(My NEC 386/20 is in that category, whether running Xenix/386 or SCO UNIX.)
Some have resorted to hardware/software upgrades (like the 16550/FAS) to
handle such problems. (If yours doesn't work at 9600 either, write and
we'll outline our own approach.)

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (09/01/90)

mcormier@isishq!micor (Michel B. Cormier (SYSOP)) writes:

>   As anyone been able to setup xenix with a TrailBlazer (actually a
>telebit T2500) such that the getty always runs at 19200bauds and the
>modem accepts calls at any speed???   I've been trying to do this, but
>was unsuccessful.

There are several registers that need to be set properly.  S50 and S51
set up the Interface Speed and Transmission Speed.  The Interface Speed
is the speed for communication between host and modem - fix this at
PEP (19200).  The Transmission Speed is the speed for communication between
your modem and another modem.  Set this to autobaud.  There is another
register (can't remember which) that sets the modem to lockstep the
interface and transmission speeds - set this to permit the two speeds
to be different.  And there is a register that determines whether to
send the PEP tones first and 1200 baud tones last or vice versa.  This
will make it quicker for low-speed dial-ins if you use the low-speed
tones first.  However, if you do so it will also cause any Telebits that
are set to autobaud on dial OUT to lock in at low speed too!  We have
taken two approaches:  send the PEP tones first AND set modems that dial
IN to our system to fixed transmission speeds.

Good luck!  We've been using TB+ modems for 2 years or more with no
problems and great success and happiness.  We dial in with 1200 and 2400
modems of various types as well as Telebit T1000 and TB+ modems.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :