[rec.misc] More Jazz Flutists

mingus@sfsup.UUCP (Damballah Wedo) (09/04/87)

> adlaia@witold.UUCP (in <27108@sun.uucp>):
> In article <810@cod.UUCP>, rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
> > Probably lots of other [flutists].  ... my choice would be Tabackin,
> > who is matchless both on tenor and flute.

[ adlaia disagrees with the `matchless' adjective ]

> Not to be too negative BUT the Shank, Rogers, Horn, Mariano, Tabackin
> crowd always seemed to me to represent a watering down of good jazz.
> Kind of like the impact Pat Boone and Paul Anka had on rock.  And
> today the same thing is happening with the advent of the "new age."

Well, that's a bit severe, methinks. Tabackin, as I said in another
article, has forged a unique sound, between the standard Western flute
and Japanese shakuhashi, and he makes some tremendous music with that sound,
both in the context of the Akiyoshi orchestra and elsewhere (see Freddie
Hubbard's SWEET RETURN on Atlantic, for example) I would agree that he
is not the instrumentalist Dolphy was. I will also agree that he is not
the rigorous and inventive composer James Newton is. I will vehemently
disagree with the Pat Boone/Paul Anka comparison, especially with such
poseurs as Thijs van Leer and (lately) Bobby Humphrey still living.

As for Mariano, I suggest you give a listen to Charles Mingus' THE BLACK
SAINT AND THE SINNER LADY to convince yourself that given the right
surroundings he is anything but watered down.

> [in] "Round Midnight," while the Dexter Gordon character was struggling
> with his greatness, guys like those above were making a killing; at
> least for jazz).

In 1959, Mariano was quite an unknown, Tabackin was playing local LA
gigs, and Paul Horn was barely a professional musician. You weaken your
own arguments by using incorrect facts to buttress them.
--
Marcel-Franck Simon				attunix!mingus

	Min pouki sa tout moun ap mande'-m' ki sa siyati-moin vle' di?