[rec.misc] Solution Holes

eugene@aurora.UUCP (Eugene miya) (10/15/87)

In article <564@hubcap.UUCP> beede@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Beede) writes:
 >in article <3013@whuts.UUCP>, fv@whuts.UUCP (FRANKLIN) says:
 >> I noticed some odd holes in the granite on the top of the mountain.
 >> These holes were about 3-4 inches in diameter, about the same
 >> amount deep and were fairly circular in appearance.
 >I've seen things like this on the North Shore of Lake Superior where there
 >are waterfalls (dry at the time ;->).  I thought they might be caused
 >by water action swirling small stones around in the hole, making the
 >hole deeper and deeper.
 > . . . Physical description removed. . .
 >As to their being on a mountain, remember that they may have been made
 >rather long ago.

Yes they are all over the place in Yosemite, the Sierra, and the Rockies.
They are rather like wash board ruts on a dirt road.  They started
with glacial action over the surface of rock, plunking out discontinuities,
chemical weathering contributed to rounding as well as the mechanical
action of things like your stones.  All this is moot if you believe
in creationism. ;-)  There are other things to look for as well:
glacial polish, glacial erratics, "chicken heads," and other signs.
All useful for climbing

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene